Help with a sick 3 week old Buff Oprington

I also out the electrolyte powder from Sav-a-chik in their water
If she has coccidiosis, the medicated feed would not be enough amprollium. While being treated with amprollium in the water, discontinue the electrolytes with vitamins, since Corid works by mimicing thiamine (B1). When treating one with Corid, it is best to treat the whole group, since some may show symptoms at different times. Youncan get a fecal test for coccidiosis, but that may take time that you could be treating.

I am reading about coccidiosis because one of my chickens is acting sickly. From what I have read one chicken can get it and react stronger to it than the others and have symptoms sooner, or maybe some of the healthier chicks may be fighting it off better- but as @Ryguy3684 says it does not hurt to give them all the same water with the Corid in it just in case.

If she has coccidiosis, the medicated feed would not be enough amprollium. While being treated with amprollium in the water, discontinue the electrolytes with vitamins, since Corid works by mimicing thiamine (B1). When treating one with Corid, it is best to treat the whole group, since some may show symptoms at different times. Youncan get a fecal test for coccidiosis, but that may take time that you could be treating.
@Ryguy3684 : I am glad you posted about the vitamins. I just purchased the Corid and also purchased some B12 for chickens and also some of the small electrolytes and probiotics packets. I will hold off on giving anyone the vitamins until the Corid has been finished. but can I use the probiotics with the Corid water- or just do Corid alone? - Also the chicken that seems sick is 6 years old. I have some babies 8 weeks old do I give it to the babies at the same ratio of 2 teaspoons per Gallon?

@Ryguy3684 : I am glad you posted about the vitamins. I just purchased the Corid and also purchased some B12 for chickens and also some of the small electrolytes and probiotics packets. I will hold off on giving anyone the vitamins until the Corid has been finished. but can I use the probiotics with the Corid water- or just do Corid alone? - Also the chicken that seems sick is 6 years old. I have some babies 8 weeks old do I give it to the babies at the same ratio of 2 teaspoons per Gallon?

The info was given by @Eggcessive. I'm not sure how to make sure he/she sees that to respond, but I don't know the answer. I'm treating now, so I'll post if there's any improvement. Thanks to everyone that helped.

B12 is not B complex, which includes all B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, etc. and includes B 12. The only vitamin that should not be given during Corid is thiamine. So it is okay to use B12. But if you have SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes, that does contain thiamine. It is best not to mix anything in the Corid water.

B12 is not B complex, which includes all B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, etc. and includes B 12. The only vitamin that should not be given during Corid is thiamine. So it is okay to use B12. But if you have SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes, that does contain thiamine. It is best not to mix anything in the Corid water.
Update. My chick seems to be doing better. I've been doing the Amprolium treatment for almost 1 week in the their water. I've also been using nutri drench, orally, for the tiny bird. She's gaining 5+ grams per day, and is much more active. She still walks in circles occasionally, but not as bad as before.

One question. How long should I give the nutri drench, because it's a pain in the butt to administer? Thanks.

After 1 week of coccidiosis treatment and a week of dropper feeding nutri drench, my little one has gone from 40 grams to 100 grams. She's no longer holding her neck in, and she's moving around a lot more. She still occasionally walks in circles, but not too often. We're very optimistic now. Thank you @Eggcessive for the advice.

Last edited:
Glad that she is doing better and gaining weight. No vitamins, including NutriDrench should be given during Corid treatment, as mentioned in post 11. Hopefully she will continue to do well.

Happy update.
One week after completing coccidiasis treatment, followed by a week of Nutri Drench, my sick chick is thriving. She has gained 4x her body weight in two weeks. She's now only half the size of the others, instead of 1/4. Her walking circles is almost non existent, and all other symptoms are gone. A very heartfelt thank you to everyone that helped.

Back
Top Bottom