Help with abandoned baby bird

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Carolina Chicken Man, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We are going to the lake this weekend, and I was taking the cover off of my boat. I've been busy and I have not used the boat this year. When I pulled the cover off of the corner, something starting floping around, and when I pulled it back, it was a baby bird. The birds had built a nest under the corner, and I completely destroyed it when I pulled the corner off.

There was only one baby, and I scooped the nest up, and wedged it into a sapling, and put the baby in it. I saw the parents a pair of finches in the area. I saw them land on the corner of my boat, but it's obvious they are not coming back now. I went out later, and the nest had fallen out of the sapling and the baby was on the ground chirping for it's parents.

I have a bluebird house, that no birds have ever nested in. I put the nest and the baby in the blue bird house, I didn't know what else to do, because I knew he would not make it on the ground.

I took some home made bread and wet it , and he will eat food that I feed him.

What should I do. I know some will suggest calling a wildlife rehabilitator, but I'm on a local poultry group here in NC, and I have seen posts, that there is a serious shortage of rehabilitators in the area, and they will not respond to common animals like finches, squirells etc.

What should I feed him other than bread, and if I can catch some bugs, worms, etc. Would chicken feed be good?

He's fairly well feathered, and I think he will be able to leave the nest in a couple weeks.

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    it will need some protein. Try some thinned peanut butter with water and the bread. If it can eat mealworms, that would be good. A meat and fruit baby food would be good, also. Canned cat food if you have it. Trying to throw out some cheap and easy ideas for you! [​IMG] If you are by a petshop or vet, some have fledgling food you can buy, but peanut butter and baby food are really good.

Oh, I would also bring him in so something doesn't get him. I know a lot of snakes like to crawl into bluebird boxes.

Good luck!

Shelly

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have a house finch that I've been raising for a few weeks now that fell out of a nest too soon, right where my cats like to hang out.

I use dry Cat Chow and add enough warm water to get it good and moist. Then I use tweezers to offer bite sized pieces to "Chirpy" I've used wet food also, but I like the moistened dry food for neatness and ease of feeding with the tweezers.

I also used a heat lamp for the few week but not anymore.

My problem now is that Chirpy thinks I'm mamma - he's more tame than any of my other birds, chickens, parakeets, etc.

I'm trying to 'wean' him from being hand fed - he's well old enough now. He knows a good thing though and is reluctant to feed himself. A little tough love the last couple days has helped 'make' him feed himself some.

4. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Ok I emailed a local wildlife rehabber when I found some baby sparrows. These things were still featherless and had their eyes closed. Here's what she told me to feed them:

"A mush of canned cat food, applesauce, eggs, ground up Tums, and bird vitamins."

She recommended feeding them the mixture every 20 minutes during the daylight hours and nothing at night. I worked my way up to to every 45, then 60 minutes, etc during the day and nothing at night.

My little guys fledged and flew away a few weeks after I found them.

I also kept them in an old 10 gallon aquarium with a red heat bulb aimed at one corner. I used paper towels as substrate at first and moved to shavings.

Good luck with your little one. It's a great feeling when they make it against the odds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by