Help with Aggressive Ducks

I have the same problem. We have three males and 4 females - obviously way too many males. They were rescured ducklings but now the males are mating with anything moving. It is quite traumatic for us as they get quite aggressive. Last night two males locked necks and appeared to be fighting 'til death' as it took dad and I to tear them apart. Now the two of them are in two separate holding areas til we decide what to do!! Any suggestions apart from the obvious of way too many males??

The only solutions are rehome or butcher. Or buy 4-6 females per male. Sorry but that is the reality of the situation. If you don't want to process them, you can try selling but very few people want to buy drakes to keep. You also need to be honest with people about their behavior as you don't want to pass on a problem. You can sell/give away no questions asked and just tell yourself they are living a happy life somewhere.

Last edited:
Update on my farmyard dilemma . Traded 4 drakes for 1 gander. My yard is so much calmer now. The drake occasionally chases the geese around but without 5 drakes they can escape much more easily. It's all good now.

Update on my farmyard dilemma . Traded 4 drakes for 1 gander. My yard is so much calmer now. The drake occasionally chases the geese around but without 5 drakes they can escape much more easily. It's all good now.
thumbsup.gif

Hi, My Duck, not my Drake, is aggressive toward the chickens! She runs at them and will peck at them if she can catch one. I have 4 Ducks and one drake and 8 hens. They seem to otherwise get along except for the Golden 300 Khaki duck. She is the top duck in the duck family. She even bosses the drake around. The Other Ducks and the drake are Swedish Blue and Cayugas. No issue w/the drake being aggressive. All of these birds are 4 months old.
So.......... wassup' lollllll
D.gif
My chickens are terrified of Thelma (the duck). Help!!

Hi, My Duck, not my Drake, is aggressive toward the chickens! She runs at them and will peck at them if she can catch one. I have 4 Ducks and one drake and 8 hens. They seem to otherwise get along except for the Golden 300 Khaki duck. She is the top duck in the duck family. She even bosses the drake around. The Other Ducks and the drake are Swedish Blue and Cayugas. No issue w/the drake being aggressive. All of these birds are 4 months old.
So.......... wassup' lollllll
D.gif
My chickens are terrified of Thelma (the duck). Help!!
My ducks will grab hold of a chicken if they get the chance. even my 12 week old girls will do it,. They haven't hurt one except the chicken will be trying to run and the duck is holding on. but they usually stay out of each others way and have a very large area to roam around in and they don't sleep in the same coop either. Nope that wouldn't work at all.
welcome-byc.gif

Help!! I have two ducks approximately 8-10 weeks old. I'm not sure what gender they are but they are Cayugas. The smaller of the two has all of a sudden become aggressive toward the other! Biting so hard it makes "her" cry. He's tearing out her feathers. Any reason for this behavior?

I too am having issues with my drakes. I have 4 ducks, 2 male, 2 females. Penned in a large run with my chickens. The Pekin drake is very aggressive towards my hens. Then the other drake joins in on pinning the poor hen and biting her neck. It's almost like they are trying to get on her to mate! I'm thinking after reading other post that I need to re-home the drakes. But if I do, will the other 2 get along with the chickens?

I too am having issues with my drakes. I have 4 ducks, 2 male, 2 females. Penned in a large run with my chickens. The Pekin drake is very aggressive towards my hens. Then the other drake joins in on pinning the poor hen and biting her neck. It's almost like they are trying to get on her to mate! I'm thinking after reading other post that I need to re-home the drakes. But if I do, will the other 2 get along with the chickens?
They are and will kill them if they succeed you need to remove both drakes from where your hens are. asap and yes ducks and hens do fine together.

MY male Khaki Campbells are intent on attacking my lame goose. Any way to solve this? They have a pen and a coop plus a large fenced backyard to roam in during the day. The problem is primarily at night because they are all in the hen-house [8 X 12} shed together with my other six Pekins and three chickens. Often I find Lucy trying to squeeze herself under the shelves to hide. I could perhaps put her in a dog cage at night but otherwise - shall I try to sell the drakes? Any advice welcome ;o)

Back
Top Bottom