Help with Aggressive Ducks

yawnal

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 21, 2013
I have 5 male and 1 female domestic mallard ducks. Along with 16 chickens and 3 geese. The geese are female and the ducks are very aggressive towards them. The male ducks are always on something (female duck or one of the geese). The geese are scared to death of the ducks. Do I get rid of some males? Do I get more females? I'm not sure what to do with these guys. Any suggestions? They all free range on our 35 acres and come into a pen at night. They share the same pen. Is that the trouble? Lol this is as difficult as raising my three boys.

The only solutions are rehome or butcher. Or buy 4-6 females per male. Sorry but that is the reality of the situation. If you don't want to process them, you can try selling but very few people want to buy drakes to keep. You also need to be honest with people about their behavior as you don't want to pass on a problem. You can sell/give away no questions asked and just tell yourself they are living a happy life somewhere.

Last edited:
Thank you - I have 6 PeKins and what I thought were two female Khakis as well as three little chickens. Turns out I was wrong and the Khakis are definitely boys! I have a dog cage I will put Lucy in for the time being and in the meantime I'll try to find a home for the drakes. Anyone looking for some Khakis for breeding purposes only> [NOT meat]. Free to a good home ;o)

welcome-byc.gif

I would say that you definitely have way to many male ducks and not nearly enough females. Every male duck really needs to have 3 to 4 females each to be happy. So I would say that unless you want to get 14 more female ducks(3 females for every male), you're going to have to sell some of your male ducks and get some more females for your remaining males.

I 2nd ditto that. just be careful with males I read on here last week sad story about 3 drakes drowning a sweet hen. I found out my 3 Pekins from Tsc were drakes got 8 hens but they are to rough with them so I house the drakes separate and always supervise forage time couple times good thing I was there drake had hen penned down by neck being extra rough they have their good and bad days on bad days they go back to their run I just don't trust them with hens sometimes. So please be cautious with them.

Third ditto. Get rid of the boys if they are being naughty. Yes, I keep thinking of that poor duck who was drowned by the drakes. Poor girl :( Heed the advise you are getting.

Now how to get rid of the drakes.... They seem hard to get rid of. No one wants them. :(

Do you have something like Craigs list? And are you willing to let them go as meat birds? Unless someone needs a drake specifically for breeding, that seems to be about the only way to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom