Help!!? With another sand question.

Feathergirl05

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
Can I use sand on concrete floors or just dirt? My husband is afraid they will stay to wet and won't drain if anything gets spilled in there.

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Macon,GA
I don't have concrete floors, but use sand in run, coop - has wooden floor and in nests.
If sand gets wet from water fount spills, rain, or poops, I mix PDZ into the sand - it absorbs water and prevents smells from poops.

If you mean large water spills, don't see why sand or dirt would be any different?

CliffB

Songster
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Georgia
I have sand mixed with pdz and when it thunder stormed here today some blew in the coop and it started drying immediately.

Dandy1

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Olive, Oklahoma
I'm new to all this also and I'm remodeling an old tin shed for my coop. I like the idea of using sand but I was worried about getting mites or fleas in the sand. Is his a problem? I love this forum; Ive learned a bunch already! Thanks

CliffB

Songster
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Georgia
I never thought of it for a coop until I had a customer buy 10 bags of it for his chicken coop. After that I started researching and was highly impressed. When I built my coop I mixed PDZ with the sand as I poured it in.

Top Bottom