Help! with Assisted hatch inner membrane

How is your chick now?
[/QUOTE

Thank you for checking. She did continue to absorb and then hatch on her own. Unfortunately she has curled toes and a splayed leg. She was in there so long, the poor thing. I taped her feet and made hobble for her leg. I'm not expecting a good outcome. She is so tiny that the taped toes make it impossible for her to walk. I've been supporting her and exercising her weak leg. I gave her to her mamma rather than artificial brooding, I thought it would be more soothing for the chick.

Glad you were able to save her, but sorry for her issues... She may do better if she was brooded inside where you can have access to her, but I have no experience with a broody hen so I can't help. Hopefully she gets better. :hugs

Is your chick doing okay? Is it out?

I hatched 10 chicks with broody mamas this past spring, my 1st chicken eggs hatching! Broody mama #1 hatched 7, all pecked their way out within 2 hours. Broody mama #2 had 7 eggs but 4 were broken so I moved her & 3 remaining eggs to her own private room. All 3 eggs were peeping on schedule but 2 hatchwd Sat morn & 1 hatched a day late, Sun abt noon. That chick was smaller & more docile, and the 1st week seemed to sleep so much. I would wake him up & make sure this little one got food & I had to actually dunk the tip of his little beak in the water to teach him to drink. I don't know why he did not copy & run after the other 2 chicks, he just wanted to snuggle in mama's feathers all of the time. He is an EE, the other 2 were Buff Orp & RIR. When mama got up to go eat, the other 2 chicks would run with her. The little runt would literally fall from her feathers as she walked, then wake up & look around, like what the heck happened. I held this little chick and while wrapped in a warm towel on my lap, got it to peck chick feed from my hand. He didn't want to leave the nest box or mama. I worried about this little chick so I did check several times & make sure he ate. I sat & watched as the chicks would eat, run around, then within 10 min all go back with mama to take a nap. At 3 weeks old little guy became a feisty little thing, he knew he was smaller, so he'd get down low & run like a little bulldozer & get under the other 2 chicks & plow them aside! He was going to be just fine! It took awhile but he eventually caught up in size, too. He is the sweetest Easter Egger Roo, named him Valentino, he likes hugs. Just sharing this to let you know, when the runt or late hatch is still a real little chick, just make sure he/she learns how to eat & drink, & doesn't get pushed from the feeder or water. I was amazed the difference hatching 1 day late made. Here's a pic of the 3 Roos all grown up now, EE Valentino, Buff Romeo, RIR Casanova. They are huggable love bugs.

Attachments

• 20201004_115201.jpg
    20201004_115201.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201004_113047.jpg
    20201004_113047.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20201208_203927.jpg
    20201208_203927.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 5
Glad you were able to save her, but sorry for her issues... She may do better if she was brooded inside where you can have access to her, but I have no experience with a broody hen so I can't help. Hopefully she gets better. :hugs
Thank you. I have my broody in the house with me. So the chick gets mom and mom gets spoiled. Lol! I really do hope I can help her. She's a tiny little sweetie.

Was it open like that when you removed it from under the broody?
sShe was externally piped. I looked inside and she was paper dry, cold and peeping.

I have her in a cup with paper towels. I've splinted the toes, feet and legs to put them in the correct position and I'm letting her strengthen her legs by trying to get up out of the glass.

Any other suggestions? Her left foot wants to turn upside down. So, I've positioned it right and I'm holding it there with a popsicle stick. Giving her vitamins as she does her squats. I really don't know how else to help her.

Back
Top Bottom