Help with baby chick...

Deedee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Kilgore, TX
I bought 4 banty babies today from Atwoods. All about 3 weeks old and in good health from what I can tell. but one has poopy stuck to her hiney. i have tried to wipe it off with a warm wet washcloth, but it didn't help. Does anyone else know what to do?
hu.gif

Thanks so much in advance!!!

I use a warm wet paper towel, and saturate the poo with the warm water, you have to get it pretty wet to soften up the stuff! Then with my hand in the paper towel I work the poo loose. Then with a dry paper towel I dry its bum! You just ave to keep working the water in with the paper towel! Put vasaline or antibotic ointment on it when you are done, and he should br fine!

I have that happening with a couple of mine. I was told to dip its bum in warm water. That will losen it.

My "cure" for pasty butt.

Tools needed: small bowl or jar, warm water, paper towels, q-tips, lubricant (olive oil, veggie oil, Vaseline, k-y jelly), hair dryer (optional), molasses (optional)

Step 1: Put warm water in a small bowl. You want it deep enough for the chicks bottom to be covered with water. Don't make the water too hot or too cold, it needs to be around the same temperature you would wash a human baby in. Let the chick soak for about 5 minutes. Do not leave the chick unattended for ANY reason.

Step 2: Remove the chick from the water and wipe it's rear gently with paper towels, baby wipes, whatever you have. Once the vent is cleared, the chick may poop... A LOT. If it does, wipe that away as well.

Step 3: Finish drying the chick. You can use a hair dryer (be careful not to burn by having the heat too high or too close), more paper towels, whatever. You just want to get the chick as dry as possible.

Step 4: Take a q-tip and use it to apply the lubricant to the vent and the feathers surrounding the vent. This is to help prevent it from recurring.

Step 5 (optional): You can add molasses to the chicks water to prevent it from occurring. I don't know how much as I've not done this myself.

All that Aidenbaby posted except the Molasses, haven't tried that myself, but grinding up instant oatmeal and adding it to medicated feed works absolute wonders.

One of my newbies had pasty butt and after soaking in and wiping with warm water on a paper towel, I finally had to use my fingers and nails to break up the hard pieces. Sounds gross, but she was only a week old and needed my help!

Back
Top Bottom