HELP WITH BABY DOE FAWN!!!

The legality on deer depends on the state. It is perfectly legal to take deer out of the wild and keep them as pets (breeding or selling them is another matter) in at least one state that I know of, but probably a few more. It used to be very common for people to rehab wildlife or take on animals that adapt well to captivity, like the cacomistle or deer, as pets. In my opinion, people connect with and take better care of wild habitats and animals where this is still the case. When you end up at a point as a country when native crows can be shot in droves but not kept as pets...oof.

I agree, people get more involved and the animals become safer almost because people want to protect the land they live on, and not to mention, often times the animal will revert back to being wild, my mockingbird that I raised stayed around the house for a full year, but she learned the dangers of raising babies so close to the house, all the buckets and things that fill with water for example and she moved out into the brush and woods, she is still around but continues to learn to be wild.

The mother DID NOT COME AROUND FOR AT LEAST 2 days. By that time she was very weak... So I highly doubt the mother was coming back. I have checked it is NOT illegal to have one as long as you are out of the city( I am) and people I have talked to have told me to put a collar on her so she WON'T get shot. People here seems to respect that.

The mother DID NOT COME AROUND FOR AT LEAST 2 days. By that time she was very weak... So I highly doubt the mother was coming back. I have checked it is NOT illegal to have one as long as you are out of the city( I am) and people I have talked to have told me to put a collar on her so she WON'T get shot. People here seems to respect that.

So after those two days, when it was determined the mother was gone, she should have been taken to a wildlife rehabilitator. Not kept as a housepet. It isn't too late to do the right thing.

Last edited:
I would not count on her not getting shot. At all. It's not just local people that hunt in your area, no matter where you are. I guarantee there WILL be hunters out there that could care less that the deer has a collar on. Accustoming her to humans is a death sentence. She will not fear the scent and sight of humans, and will not hide.

Having a collar on in the wild is also not safe. Way too many ways that a collar can get caught on something and trap her. She could even break her neck or a leg struggling to get free.

You are not doing her any favors.

And I would also encourage you to talk DIRECTLY to a wildlife officer in your state. Do not assume it is legal based on what you read on the 'net. There can be variables and changes to laws that are not available on the internet.

You do realize if it is determined that legally you shouldn't have her, that she will most likely be euthanized?

My daughters friends found this little one and watched her for 2 days and the mother never came back for her, so they got her and called me. ( that was 2 weeks ago) well she still only has 4 teeth so I got some replacement milk at my coop and started giving it to her, well the last week or so days she has had diarrhea and I have been giving her nothing but Pediatric and pepto every 2 hours... well she has not had and diarrhea at all the last 48 hours so today I started her back on the replacement milk ( 5 oz pediatric and 3 oz water with 2 oz milk,) 2 times today... well when she pooped the first time is was more normal and black like tar, but this last time she pooped it more runny again. ANY IDEAS on what I can do ? PLEASE help, I am keeping her hydrated but I know she wants her milk again. She isnt acting like she feels bad, she is running and playing but this is bothering me because I know its not good.
Hi... I know this thread has gotten a little off topic but how is the fawn doing now? Have you tried the goats milk? I would try to give her unpasteurized milk if you have access to it because it could be an additive that is upsetting her stomach. Also, has she been eating any greens? Good luck!!

hmmm we havwe the same dilemna here in israel with ibexes, gazelles and some kind of deer/antelope that i dont know what its called in english.... ive raised them alll....

you are lucky its not a male, as having an imprinted male is a recipe for trouble. as for keeping as a pet, here, all rehab'd fawns are only alllowed to stay at native country oriented petting zoos (like mine was. we had a liscense for rehab'ing or keeping native wild life, depending on the vet's assessment, injury, behavioral issues, and environmental issues.) many rehab's are radio tagged and releases.

howevcer, we've had reverse problems with rehab;d animals wanting to come back in again, although it wouldnt be good for them. a human imprinted animal doesnt always find a herd to join up with, nor do they make good mothers, as often this is learned behavior (like with goats). at any rate, here, if they are raised in petting zoo's or rehab'd, then they are vaccined for rabies and any other related diseases, micro chipped, and tracked.

she is doing better, no diarrhea since yesterday morning, going to keep her on the Pediatric til tomorrow and then slowly start the goats milk, I got it today I also got some antibiotics to give her
starting tomorrow also... Yes its gotten off topic and I want to thank those for the help that gave it, its been very useful... People dont seem to read before they jump the gun to crap as I said before there is no place to take her, the wild life have other things to worry about because there are people like me that dont mind spending the money and caring for one in need.

Back
Top Bottom