Help with baby wood ducks found

I also ended up with a baby wood duck this spring after watching hawks get two of the ducklings and mom not coming back for my little guy. I read that the first couple of days they don't eat and they live off the nutrients from the egg they were hatched in. After that I fed my guy chick starter that is NOT medicated. He is still on this as he is less that 8 weeks old. He also gets a daily dose of duck weed from pond next to our house. He is growing so fast. Hope your little guys made it. They are endearing creatures.

Aww ;; Wood ducks are one of my favorites. Are you going to keep him for good? Do you plan on clipping his wings or letting him fly off and migrate in the Fall?

From what I understand, he will not survive on his own since he has imprinted on me. We have an abundance of hawks, raccoons and bard owls in our neighborhood. We are at the point of deciding to get him a friend and building a pen onto an unused playhouse or turning him over to a rescue center. At this point, it would be hard to let him go to a rescue center but I want him(or her) to be happy.

From what I understand, he will not survive on his own since he has imprinted on me. We have an abundance of hawks, raccoons and bard owls in our neighborhood. We are at the point of deciding to get him a friend and building a pen onto an unused playhouse or turning him over to a rescue center. At this point, it would be hard to let him go to a rescue center but I want him(or her) to be happy.

I've seen it happen, my neighbor successfully released three mallard hens and a drake after coons got the mother. They'd imprinted on him but he still kept at it. Then again they had each other, you only have your one little guy. :/

Part of me still says you should take him to a rescuer, but if he's already bonded with you I know firsthand how hard it is to 1) rehabilitate, and 2) to let the cutie pie go. They're such beautiful birds, and if you think you can put up with their CONSTANT squeaky toy chirping, I'd say you got yourself a new pet wood duck!

I found two baby wood ducks in my yard no sign of mom or other babies. I think they only 1 or 2 day old , I brought them in house and have a heat lamp on them but cannot get them to eat any of the feed. They are eating meal worms and crickets and drinking water . Any ideas how get them eat feed / is the worms and crickets enough ?
they look like mallard ducklings

Back
Top Bottom