Help with bad case of dry pox

chickychick7

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2015
Hello,
One of my hens (my fav of course) Dutch Bantam Thelma has a bad case of dry pox. I noticed a few white pimple like bumps on her comb on 5/7. It didn't help that I had to drive cross country with them a week after I noticed it. Now it's nearly 3 weeks later and it's gotten worse...over the weeks it progressed to her waddles and near her eyes. I've tried iodine, toothpaste, vetericyn plus, bacitracin zinc ointment and have been giving her liquid electrolytes/probiotics. This morning I was cleaning her up and a couple little scabs on one of her waddles/near her eye came off, and the lesions near her eyes have scabs on them, the area around her eyes does look better, it's turning red again in that area...so maybe we've started turning the corner ? but other than that her whole comb seems white-ish swollen but I can see some red comb underneath in some areas. She also has a couple sores on her legs/feet. I just gave her a warm bath and put vetericyn on again. Is the idea to dry it out or keep it moist ? Any experience/input would be greatly appreciated. She's not feeling 100% but is doing ok, eating drinking poop looks good etc. Thanks so much for any help.

Attachments

• feet.jpg
    feet.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 48
  • further away.jpg
    further away.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 11
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 12
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 12
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hello,
One of my hens (my fav of course) Dutch Bantam Thelma has a bad case of dry pox. I noticed a few white pimple like bumps on her comb on 5/7. It didn't help that I had to drive cross country with them a week after I noticed it. Now it's nearly 3 weeks later and it's gotten worse...over the weeks it progressed to her waddles and near her eyes. I've tried iodine, toothpaste, vetericyn plus, bacitracin zinc ointment and have been giving her liquid electrolytes/probiotics. This morning I was cleaning her up and a couple little scabs on one of her waddles/near her eye came off, and the lesions near her eyes have scabs on them, the area around her eyes does look better, it's turning red again in that area...so maybe we've started turning the corner ? but other than that her whole comb seems white-ish swollen but I can see some red comb underneath in some areas. She also has a couple sores on her legs/feet. I just gave her a warm bath and put vetericyn on again. Is the idea to dry it out or keep it moist ? Any experience/input would be greatly appreciated. She's not feeling 100% but is doing ok, eating drinking poop looks good etc. Thanks so much for any help.
This looks like it needs vet/farm vet intervention. That's the most severe case I've seen personally.

Best of luck to you & her, I hope others here can help you out as well!

Is she eating and drinking? Do any others have it? Pox only lasts about a month, so she may soon recover. Do you see any yellow material (wet pox) inside her beak or throat? There is no treatment necessary for dry pox, but some do use Betadine (povidone iodine) on the scabs to help dry them out. People in the southern states or tropical areas have the worst fowl pox. Don’t disturb the scabs or you can spread the pox virus more. Shed scabs are contagious to other chickens.

Hello,
Well isnt that a rare sight. Are those painful? Maybe they are stress induced so hopefully no more traveling. Any allergy foods that she may have eaten?

I would personally treat it as thrush and seek the appropriate medicine. If you are in a place where medicines are illegal, ask a vet for the correct one.

Here is more info. I dont uaually link offsite, but it seems like decent info. They also say it is common to have worms with an outbreak, so also make sure she is up to date on worm treatments.
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.com/moniliasis-thrush-in-chickens-symptoms--treatments.html

I would still treat it as thrush, and as the article says treat for worms as well as they are common together. You are assuming it is dry pox, but it looks to be something else. There are some dry pox present around the eyes, but the comb looks to be covered in something and thrush is very treatable.

It would certainly not do harm to treat the comb as thrush.

Please check out this article about comb thrush and consider what your chicken has.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1...wattles-overtaken-by-white-growth-please-help

It doesnt look the same, but there could be be eye worm treatments necessary as well, which i have never treated eye worms. Looking again at your pictures, you have a real emergency on your hands there is something on top of the pox, this is beyond just a dry pox case.

Fowl Pox is not fun. So sorry you are dealing with this. We had an outbreak last year (bought turkey poults and they started it, only a few chicks (chicken) were lost, but we started to separate and then it didn't matter because they all had been exposed. We tried the toothpaste method, dried them up a little but not really effective. Only thing we really tried that worked was neem oil mixed with cinnamon (powder) and a few other oils (oregano I believe) I found an article that they posted on research they had done I belive in India. But this was the only thing that really dried them up and stopped their systems from producing more (applied topically). I'm searching for the article (because there were more ingredients) so I can send you the link to it. Hope she gets over it quickly.

Fowl Pox is not fun. So sorry you are dealing with this. We had an outbreak last year (bought turkey poults and they started it, only a few chicks (chicken) were lost, but we started to separate and then it didn't matter because they all had been exposed. We tried the toothpaste method, dried them up a little but not really effective. Only thing we really tried that worked was neem oil mixed with cinnamon (powder) and a few other oils (oregano I believe) I found an article that they posted on research they had done I belive in India. But this was the only thing that really dried them up and stopped their systems from producing more (applied topically). I'm searching for the article (because there were more ingredients) so I can send you the link to it. Hope she gets over it quickly.
I finally found it. It is a Pdf file and I think measurements are metric (so i just used an online conversion calculator). If you don't have Castor use another oil like coconut or grapeseed, olive to cut the neem (won't hurt them straight though). Best of luck getting her healed.

https://www.phytojournal.com/archives/2018/vol7issue6/PartAQ/7-6-483-596.pdf

Back
Top Bottom