help with bantam cochin color id, blue or what?

nunlef

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hi,
I bought several bantam cochin chicks last year. I was told "gray" and "white", of course I knew gray meant "blue", but the coloring of my chickens has me confused.
I just hatched out 10 chicks from this rooster, the mothers are a columbian rock (hatchery cross of CR roo over RIR hen?) and "black broilers" (dark cornish X australorp, temperament was so good I kept the ones that were solid black with green and purple sheen - side note, these guys were from ideal, and even the 2 cockerals I have are practically lap babies in spite of their huge size). Anyway, the eggs were collected in temps near 20F, so only 10 hatched. From this hatch it seems I have 9 black and 1 yellow (white, I'm guessing, I dont see any pattern). The chicks just hatched yesterday, and are barely dry, though I can get pictures of them if needed.
So, with that information and these pictures, will someone PLEASE tell me what color my little pair are? (btw, I did not look at the underside of the feathers because I noticed one of my girls is obviously a "favorite", so I got distracted by her missing feathers, etc...)

oh, and pardon the condition of the ground, they do have access to a decent grass area, but a) it is still winter here, and b) they saw me coming and ran to their "eating area" where the ground is very worn.

Thanks SO much for any help/advice/ideas, even if it's just "hey, those aren't even cochins" ;)

oh, just noticed the "picture quality" -
1)it is very overcast today, the chickens are a tiny bit lighter in person.
2)Also, the color contrast is more pronounce in the photos than in real life, but that may be more useful.
3)The "other color" is beige-ish? it is not the "beautiful flaxen" color I have seen on "wheaten" colors, I would say the color representation of "other color" on my screen is fair and "true to life".

Thanks,
Heather

If this is in the wrong section, sorry. I would really appreciate any help I can get. I understand they are not show chickens, but I would like to do my best in breeding towrd type for the bantam cochin, and color is my first step (because I am also trying to create a coronation Orpington)

thanks

The color's the same as my Lav Orps. I think you've got some Lavender Cochins there
wink.png

Yippee!
Do you know why there also seems to be that gold/beige color? Both the roo and hen have it, though the hen's is less pronounced.

Thank you so much for answering, the feathers look like the lavender examples, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I ordered 12 lav orp hatching eggs last year and none made it (the one that did hatch was too weak, I even made a little chair for it, and fed it with a dropper for 3 days hoping it would make it)

thanks

Thanks so much,now I'm even more excited to see how his babies turn out. now that they are dry and in the brooder, it looks like 2 might be lavender. :)

Back
Top Bottom