Help With Breed Decision

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AuroraSprings, Jul 28, 2011.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello all! There are SOOOOO many chicken breeds that I am looking for some help identifying a breed or breeds to raise. Here's what we are looking for:

Dual-purpose
    Approximate breed standard (we've had bad luck with chickens that didn't even closely match the breed in production)
    Must be heat-tolerant
    Atleast somewhat broody
    Calm enough to work around, but active enough to forage for most of their food
    Heritage breed
    EDIT TO ADD:
    Need Lg-XL eggs and over 150/yr would be nice

It would be nice if they weren't white, since that makes them easier targets for predators, but as long as they are smart/resourceful enough light/white colors should work.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    How about brahmas or australorps?

3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I don't know if you've looked at buff orpingtons but I love the breed. My little orpington is the sweetest chicken in the flock she sits in my lap and loves to be pet. They're nice big birds they lay well and from what I've read make great mothers. They are dual purpose birds as well.

4. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I would go for black austrolorps, one of my 2 hens of that breed has gone broody before and wouldnt give up. They can take most any weather and they are extremly sweet and tame. They are one of my favorite breeds.

5. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would also recommend Buff Orpingtons.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My three favorite dual purpose birds: Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps (they're sort of related, as they came from Orpingtons generations ago), and Light Brahmas. BAs are great layers. LBs are more heat tolerant than the BAs (black feathers being a real heat sink in the sun). All three breeds are mellow breeds. Oh, and there are buff and dark brahmas too, if you don't like the amount of white in the LB feathers.

I always recommend folks check out (and save) this link to Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart:
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:X2 - Not sure if BO's are heritage breeds or not. But I LOVE my BO. Just the sweetest thing.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Plymouth Rocks are my very best foragers. They are pretty well camouflaged (I live in the mtns, in the woods and have never lost any to predators) and handle the extreme heat of Alabama very well, way better than my white Delawares. They are a true dual purpose heritage breed. Fabulous layers. The hatchery stock rarely broods, but the breeder stock will occasionally brood chicks.

My blue/black/splash Rocks are broody, for sure.

9. typnslow

typnslow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    New Market, Al
    Quote:What a great site THANKS!

[​IMG]

10. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    what i think would be good is a grey game rooster. they r peaceful and the will live off the land. they r a good choice to pick to have to free roam around the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by