Help With Breed Decision

Quote:
How about Dominiques? I've never had them, but they sound like a great breed for you. Heat tolerant, dual purpose, broody, calm, excellent foragers, heritage breed, and good predator protection coloration.

Orpingtons could also be a good choice. They meet your criteria as well. They've been my best foragers of the breeds I've had. They have profuse feathering, but their light color helps a lot, as far as heat hardiness is concerned. As long as they have shade and water they do well for me in the heat.

Buff and Partridge Plymouth Rocks are both know for being broody. They'd meet your other criteria too.

Mediterranean breeds do very well in the heat, but are not dual purpose and very rarely broody.

Orpingtons! Ive heard that some people believe that orpingtons are not that heat tolerant, but Ive never had a problem with them. And it gets well over 100 here. (110 F* +) They are good layers, go broody, big enough to eat the extra roosters, and the roosters are nice enough that you don't have to worry about "attacks" haha I absolutely love my orpingtons. And they come in enough colors you can get a variety, especially the blue/black/splash...... beautiful variety!

I would go with Brahmas! They are sweet, gentle, and very quiet. They LOVE to forage and dig through our wooded area of the lawn.

They lay about an egg a day/chicken. And are a very hardy breed, which makes them perfect for both warm and really cold environments.

Good luck!

I am in "HOT" east texas , i have production reds , very calm and layed back birds. they are in extreme heat every day,( i do take precautions,ice in water and frozen water bottles daily) they still hold there wings away from body somewhat. I think every thing i have read the very first coment was right on . Buff orp, there are lighter colered and seem very easy-going. NO LEGHORNS!!!! Thats a nasty bird. Ok my opinion.
tongue.gif
lol.png

Quote:
Leghorns are nice dependable, curious, sometimes cautious birds. I have a flock of white leghorns and a flock of buff leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom