Help with Breed

AmandaEscareno

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2016
I bought 3 Ameraucana pullets the beginning of March. I asked a breeder club to help identify the colors of two of them. They responded with, Those ARE NOT Ameraucanas :( Can someone help me identify them

Last edited:
The silver one looks a bit like a Houdan. The red one looks like a red laced Wyandotte or a sebright bantam. They both may be Faverolles, too, so you should probably expect one of these breeds.This is all the input I have. When they are grown, post some pics.
P.S. Find another place to buy chicks.
-Goofy

The silver one looks a bit like a Houdan. The red one looks like a red laced Wyandotte or a sebright bantam. They both may be Faverolles, too, so you should probably expect one of these breeds.This is all the input I have. When they are grown, post some pics.
P.S. Find another place to buy chicks.
-Goofy

Oh goodness. Well, I will definitely be questioning the place I bought them from on Monday. These are them when they were tiny... maybe it can help a little too. Btw, thank you for your time and effort in helping.

Thank you :) I was an so confused because I bought them being told they were Ameraucana. So, I've been researching what they are. I thought to myself, well couldn't they be easter egger since they come in a wider variety of colors ... and the breeder just title them as Ameraucanas because they all lay the blue/green eggs.

Thank you
smile.png
I was an so confused because I bought them being told they were Ameraucana. So, I've been researching what they are. I thought to myself, well couldn't they be easter egger since they come in a wider variety of colors ... and the breeder just title them as Ameraucanas because they all lay the blue/green eggs.
Your welcome, I'm very jealous becasuse I haven't had an Easter Egger in my flock in 2 or 3 years and I really miss those puffy cheeks and blue/green eggs
sad.png

If they were advertised as Ameraucana they wouldn't be another, even rarer breed like houdan or favorelles. I agree that they are Easter Eggers.

Often feed stores and some hatcheries or shady breeders will claim that the birds are Ameraucana or Araucana to deceive people into buying them when in actuality they are NOT. It's unfortunate but very common. The breed poster at TSC even says Ameraucana lay blue or green eggs which is NOT true. Ameraucana ONLY lay blue eggs, it's one of their defining features, maybe the only one. They are also only sold by feather color and are pretty rare so if it's just called an Ameraucana rather than blue Ameraucana, Buff Ameraucana, wheaten Ameraucana, blue wheaten, etc., you get the point, it likely isn't it. According to Google (I know, I know) recognized colors are Blue, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Blue Wheaten, Wheaten, Black, White. So only solid colors and pretty limited and a rare breed and like mentioned, sold only by color. Easter Eggers are mutts. Mixed with a blue egg layer (Ameraucana) and something else, usually a brown egg layer, sometimes white layer. They can be essentially any color and any pattern including how yours look or laced, solid, etc., and can lay basically any color from pink to green to blue. Occasionally you can get a brown egg layer based on genetics but usually they lay colored. They CAN lay blue and CAN be solid colored but they don't HAVE to be. However that said, they are wonderful birds. One of mine lays a smaller green/olive-y egg and one lays HUGE, gorgeous blue eggs. Consistently double yolkers or at least very large. Off the scale. One of my brown egg layers now lays a medium sized egg but most are in the small range. Most birds start pee wee or small (like mine did) and gradually grow. My EE had one broken egg her first egg then just started laying huge eggs lol they only started a few weeks ago but this one only laid for 2 or 3 days then quit and just started again the other day. HUGE blue eggs. But most EEs lay in the smaller to medium range or the large range. Mine is like extra jumbo lol

Anyways, mine can be a bit flighty at times but are very personable and friendly and come right up to me.

Last edited:
Thank you :) I was an so confused because I bought them being told they were Ameraucana. So, I've been researching what they are. I thought to myself, well couldn't they be easter egger since they come in a wider variety of colors ... and the breeder just title them as Ameraucanas because they all lay the blue/green eggs.

Often they label them as that because people get them confused and they are rarer so deceive them into buying their birds. The hatchery I got mine from sold them as Easter Eggers as a separate breed. Ameraucana only lay blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom