Help with breed!!!

SwampQueenChick

Songster
Sep 13, 2019
Bought two ducklings from Tractor Supply. They were straight run and assorted. Does anybody have any idea what breed this could be?!

Attachments

• Vs ducklings.jpg
    Vs ducklings.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 9
  • Vs ducklings 2.jpg
    Vs ducklings 2.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 2
They are adorable! Looks like Pekin. The eyes will confirm it. They should have blue eyes. If it is Pekin, you will want to give them extra niacin. Pekin require more niacin than any other duck breed.
How much niacin would you recommend, or do I just need to be sure it's in their food?

The easiest way to do it is to get nutritional yeast. You can add one to two tablespoons per cup of feed.

Here is also an article on niacin deficiency. It talks about how much Pekins need compared to other breeds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
:goodpost:

I definitely encourage to supplement outside of their food. They advertise having niacin in the feed, but it’s usually not enough. I thankfully found out soon enough to give mine extra, but I’ve seen some awful cases where ducks don’t have enough and they get terrible health issues like bowed legs etc. Good luck with your duck journey!!! They are adorable!! :love

:goodpost:

I definitely encourage to supplement outside of their food. They advertise having niacin in the feed, but it’s usually not enough. I thankfully found out soon enough to give mine extra, but I’ve seen some awful cases where ducks don’t have enough and they get terrible health issues like bowed legs etc. Good luck with your duck journey!!! They are adorable!! :love
I never knew this. So happy to find out now. Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom