Help with broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Darin115, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My son's class at school hatched some eggs. Generally they hatch Whiteleghorns. The teacher sent home a note asking if anyone wanted the chicks. My wife sent a note back saying that her father would take them. She brought them home and I took them to her father. They spent 2 weeks in the brooder gobbling up food.

Last Saturday he called and said I have to come get them. I said why???? He said they are broilers. I went to see them and dang near fell out. They were huge!!! I brought them home and placed them in the chicken house. I have not had chickens in about 6 months.
    Filled up the drinking and the feeder. All I had was start and grow 20% feed. They inhaled it overnight.

I went to the feed store and all I could find is unmedicated start and grow 20% protein. I did grow some a couple of years ago but raised them on a higher protein turkey starter.

My question is, can I feed them the start and grow 20% feed until time to butcher?? Or do I need a higher protein feed? If so can I mix something in the start and grow to boost the protein???

They will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. They look like little butterballs wobbling around in the chicken house. I have 11 of them.

Thanks!

Darin

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If they are already that big, the 20% will be perfect to finish them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by