Help With Broody

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
One of my sister's chickens, Buhk Buhk, has gone broody in a bad nesting box. Two of my chickens have faked going broody (only paid half attention to the eggs, which did not develop), but I think Buhk Buhk is serious. She has been in the nesting box for two days and I haven't seen her come out to drink or eat in the mornings when I let the chickens out. She is normally sweet, but now she's really angry, ha ha.
I would like to move her if possible. We have an old coop which is too small for our flock with good nesting boxes and there's a place where I can put food and water close to her. Is this a bad idea? If not, does anyone have any tips for moving her and preparing her nesting box area?
Thanks in advance.
IMG_20210916_192011.jpg

You may be able to move her. As long as their are similar conditions. I had a broody, Hashbrown. She had 4 eggs make it, 1 I had to help because it almost got squished. 2 pipped and died. I tried to save her last one because it was 106° F in the coop so I thought maybe the heat was killing the chicks. I moved her into my house that was 73° F. She didn’t like it. Kept getting off her eggs. So I put her back in the coop where she got back on her eggs. I put a fan so that was cool enough and she was fine and she was in a different spot then she started off in, and she stayed. So moral of the story is that it’s just a observe game. If you do put food and water, make sure this is the only source of food and water. Hashbrown jumped out of the coop where the baby couldn’t get to and the baby ended up dying. Of what? I don’t know, but I think the other chickens attack/stepped on it, since momma wasn’t there. If there is food and water, momma can eat baby chicken starter, but babies can’t eat layer feed. So feed chick starter. Also make sure that the water has little rocks in it so the chicks don’t drown. Please update! 😊

You may be able to move her. As long as their are similar conditions. I had a broody, Hashbrown. She had 4 eggs make it, 1 I had to help because it almost got squished. 2 pipped and died. I tried to save her last one because it was 106° F in the coop so I thought maybe the heat was killing the chicks. I moved her into my house that was 73° F. She didn’t like it. Kept getting off her eggs. So I put her back in the coop where she got back on her eggs. I put a fan so that was cool enough and she was fine and she was in a different spot then she started off in, and she stayed. So moral of the story is that it’s just a observe game. If you do put food and water, make sure this is the only source of food and water. Hashbrown jumped out of the coop where the baby couldn’t get to and the baby ended up dying. Of what? I don’t know, but I think the other chickens attack/stepped on it, since momma wasn’t there. If there is food and water, momma can eat baby chicken starter, but babies can’t eat layer feed. So feed chick starter. Also make sure that the water has little rocks in it so the chicks don’t drown. Please update! 😊
Thank you! Most of the time she prefers to lay eggs and roost in the coop I want to move her to anyway, so it might just work. The chicks can't fall to the ground in there when they hatch, either.
I will take pictures tomorrow if I am successful moving her and again when they hatch. They should hatch around the 5th of October!

She didn't accept the move. :I
I moved her last night and I could tell she was very confused. The first time I checked she wasn't on her eggs, so I put her on there and checked again later and she was on the eggs. In the morning she badly wanted out so I let her out a little bit, then right before leaving for church I locked her in the coop (with water of course). When we came home from church (and shopping) I fed her and then checked multiple times what she was doing. She seemed to jump up when she heard me coming so I'm not sure If she was sitting on the eggs. The hay and eggs were moved and they felt warmer than the outside temperature, so hopefully?

IMG_20210919_191728.jpg

IMG_20210919_191958.jpg

I opened the little coop so she could go in and out how she pleased and she ran to the big coop and sat on the eggs the other chickens had laid today.
I looked it up and Google said that chicken embryos can survive up to 18 hours in temperatures lower than 90 degrees. It has hardly been under 90 today so I took all new eggs except one and gave her the old ones. She now has 7 eggs.
That chicken is more stubborn than my guinea Peabrain. 😂
IMG_20210919_193511.jpg

Will continue updating. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_191727.jpg
    IMG_20210919_191727.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 1
I'm so mad!
So yesterday the other chickens had pushed out all of Buhk Buhk's eggs except for 1 in the morning before I let them out. I gave her those that weren't cracked + new eggs and put her in a cut cardboard box so I could try a different method of moving her out of the big coop. I was going to let her get settled a few days before I did that as to not stress her, but today when I let the chickens out they had pushed the box, her eggs, on the ground and they ATE the eggs except two!!! Maybe I should've seen that coming. :(
If she ends up going broody again soon I will update. :) In the meantime I will teach those birds a lesson. (Mustard filled eggs!)

She's broody again! That chicken is determined to hatch eggs. She's in another cardboard box now and I will move her to the little coop today before the chickens roost.
I wonder what type of chicken she is...

So I moved her to the little coop and she really didn't like it in there, but while she was in there I fixed the nesting boxes in the big coop. I still need to add one finishing touch, but it's good enough for Buhk Buhk.

Before:
InkedIMG_20210919_193511_LI.jpg

After:
IMG_20210922_100023.jpg

Even my chicken Boo, who never lays eggs in the coop (😑) is sitting in one!
IMG_20210922_100014.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry pictures. I thought I took better ones, lol.)
I put Buhk Buhk in the corner nesting box that is in a low traffic area and today the chickens had done nothing to her eggs! 😁 Here's Buhk Buhk:
IMG_20210922_100042.jpg

IMG_20210922_100040.jpg

So I moved her on day 18 to the little coop and she accepted the move! This time the little coop was next to the big coop and there was no hay in there. (I figured out that she doesn't like hay.) The fact that she's been on her eggs so long might have helped, too.
It's now day 24 and there seems to be at least one egg (out of six) pipping!

Back
Top Bottom