Help with building new coop out of old shipping crate!

What a great find! I believe I'd turn it sideways, if it were mine, to give them lots more floor space. I'd remove or cut holes in some of the interior boards so they would have access. I'd use one of the spaces as the nest box. It looks to me like you could do the same to create a roost area, just leave one board as the roost.

Thanks. And yes there will be a run attached. The photo is actually taken in the area that will be enclosed to make the run. It will be roughly an 8ft x 20ft enclosure. I was also leaning toward setting it longways and having it set up off of the ground a couple feet on posts.

A second question has one to mind - with the available space in the coop, coupled with roughly 120 sq. ft. of run space, how many chickens could I responsibly house? Right now I'm set to have 5 Golden Comets.

Thanks. And yes there will be a run attached. The photo is actually taken in the area that will be enclosed to make the run. It will be roughly an 8ft x 20ft enclosure. I was also leaning toward setting it longways and having it set up off of the ground a couple feet on posts.

A second question has one to mind - with the available space in the coop, coupled with roughly 120 sq. ft. of run space, how many chickens could I responsibly house? Right now I'm set to have 5 Golden Comets.
Agrees, best way to use the most available floor space. Will need to be meshed for predator protection. Maybe you can use the interior divider wood to build the roof!

Should be fine for 5-7 birds.

Back
Top Bottom