Help with Bumblefoot

No splinters, but lots of this awful rock and when they come out of the coop they are jumping down on to the rock on the concrete. We are planning on moving the coop to an area with sand/dirt mix.

They are roosting on 2x4’s and standing on the 4inch wide part. I was thinking of having them roost on the 1 inch part (board flipped on its side) but won’t if that’s going to cause more issues. One roost was 2 feet and the other was 3 and a 1/2 feet, but no ladder to get down because it won’t fit in the coop. We’ve lowered them down to about 18inches.

The only thing that’s hard for them to walk on is that pointy rock. They dig in it all day and scatter it all over the yard.

Attachments

• B405E36C-DD58-474C-AFB4-54528F2E4B20.jpeg
    B405E36C-DD58-474C-AFB4-54528F2E4B20.jpeg
    802.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 0217980C-9045-445C-BD2E-08F588E31017.jpeg
    0217980C-9045-445C-BD2E-08F588E31017.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Oh and I believe they are all healthy weights. The light Brahma is a heavy bird by nature, but even my little easter egger has a bumble.

No splinters, but lots of this awful rock and when they come out of the coop they are jumping down on to the rock on the concrete. We are planning on moving the coop to an area with sand/dirt mix.

They are roosting on 2x4’s and standing on the 4inch wide part. I was thinking of having them roost on the 1 inch part (board flipped on its side) but won’t if that’s going to cause more issues. One roost was 2 feet and the other was 3 and a 1/2 feet, but no ladder to get down because it won’t fit in the coop. We’ve lowered them down to about 18inches.

The only thing that’s hard for them to walk on is that pointy rock. They dig in it all day and scatter it all over the yard.
h and

Ill bet it’s that pointy rock. Jumping down could also be a double contributor.
How hard would it be to remove that pointy rock? It doesn’t seem to be too deep. Then you could start dlm in that area. Deep litter method.
I would put some horse stall mats down where they are jumping out of the coop onto the concrete.
I think it’s henpenjem who has rocky soil and her rooster wears the boots. that rock will tear up boots though.
From experience, if you don’t get a handle on the root cause, and remove it, treating infections in multiple chickens will be a huge effort. Then in addition you may get hens who have chronic inflammation of the footpad and that is a real burden.

Last edited:
It’s old landscaping rock that we’re working on getting rid of, but it’s literally everywhere except the grass. I might be able to fence off the majority of it to keep them out until we can get rid of it. I’m thinking that’s very likely the culprit because they jump off of the ramp a few times a day after laying and they spend time on the concrete.

QUOTE="Kathy Golla, post: 20194271, member: 455533"]Ill bet it’s that pointy rock. Jumping down could also be a double contributor.
How hard would it be to remove that pointy rock? It doesn’t seem to be too deep. Then you could start dlm in that area. Deep litter method.
I would put some horse stall mats down where they are jumping out of the coop onto the concrete.
I think it’s henpenjem who has rocky soil and her rooster wears the boots.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom