Help with Candling Eggs

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
The ones I am pretty sure are still alive are ones that should hatch this week since they were a week behind. Anyways, I can see veins in both of them, they seem to be moving as I can tell since the black area begins to cover the area I can see the veins when I am candling it is that movement???

Now for the one I am in question off (I think it was either a bad egg or its died?) This picture is not my own egg, I found it on google (actually was one of the BYCer's but looks exactly like this egg) I see no movement and the clear part is totally clear and the rest is dark I see no veins.

Here's that pic:

What do you think? I am almost thinking I should toss it out, I really wanna crack it open to find out, but don't think I can handle seeing a live one that I just killed. But its over its hatch date, and I don't see movement at all.

Also for the other 2 eggs they don't look like this egg at all. They have veins at the top still and the embyro moves from side to side as I candle it is that normal!?

Thanks!!!!!!!

The egg picture you posted looks like an egg ready to hatch to me. How far overdue is it?

I think if it were me, and it was overdue, I'd do a float test. i'm voting it's either a ready to hatch chick, or a dead in shell chick.

I had 4 eggs under a silkie the pictured one and one other egg were put under at the same and one egg hatched Tuesday with a healthy chick, this one is overdue assuming they go the same amount of heat, etc. Now 5 days! No smell to it.

If it floats its dead??

The other 2 eggs were put a week under here due to a mishap in taking 2 wrong eggs one day. They have the same look but still have veins at the other ends.

The egg picture you posted looks like an egg ready to hatch to me. How far overdue is it?

I think if it were me, and it was overdue, I'd do a float test. i'm voting it's either a ready to hatch chick, or a dead in shell chick.

^^^Agree. Don't toss that egg. It looks at least 14 days old. This late in the candling process you won't see veins, you may not even see movement.

Back
Top Bottom