Help with candling?

I tried candling after one week and ended up trowing out a good embryo. It was truly sad. Next time, I will simply wait and see if they hatch.
This could be disastrous also, as one of my eggs exploded after the incubation period. Luckily, it did not make that big of a mess.

Quote:
Generally by 3 days after the due date I get rid of them. I tap tap tap on the shell with my fingernail, hold it up to my ear and if I don't hear peeping, they go. I'm a curious type person, and I put them in a ziplock bag, all of them that didn't hatch, seal the bag, and then use a knife to crack the eggs and see what went wrong. I've never had a baby chick (alive) that slid out.

Wow! I like your zip lock bag trick!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm worried about throwing out a good egg too. But exploding eggs sound terribly nasty
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
lol.png
I can see it now...

I have done a lot of candling with my duck eggs and yes they are white but i am sure it is the same this when candling chicken eggs. At about 8 days you should see at least a dark spot in the yoke, with a vein or two. The dark chicken eggs I just figured out how to candle them and it works. Make the room completely black and take an LED flash light and a cardboard tube and hole the tube over the end of the flash light. Place the egg on the other end. In a completely black room or under a heavy blanket with no light you should see something in the eggs like veins. I didn't figure this out until my eggs were 17 days along. Mine are due on Monday and I can see some space in the egg other then the air cell but he has a couple more days to grow. They have to grow and develope fast since they are only incubated for a month before hatching. The ones you not sure just wait it out. I am giving mine until the 11th or 12th, and mine are due the 7th. So I am giving them another 5 days to hatch. I will say a prayer for your eggs. I know the waiting game is painful but be calm and wait or at least that is what I am being told, just don't help them out when they start to hatch. Let them get out on their own.

Quote:
my hatch date is the 8th. the ones in question have very nice vains and i can see them moving. oh i hope they make it this is my first time and its eggsiting

Quote:
my hatch date is the 8th. the ones in question have very nice vains and i can see them moving. oh i hope they make it this is my first time and its eggsiting

I am praying for yours and mine. I hatch with my great grandma when I was little but can't remember how to do it and she pasted away when I was 10 so this is my first time all by my self.

Back
Top Bottom