Help with Cast iron stock pot.

Yep, I agree that it is in all probability a cast aluminum pot. I even went so far as to go dig out some of my old pots just to compare. This is really an old pot. I also have a full set (20 + piece) of Magnalite auminum pots that are over 35 years old and still in daily use.

Your pot will continue to cook as always with no impact on food flavoring. Fire will only damage it or destroy it. The pot appears to be a 4 - 6 quart capacity. Were it cast iron, it would be quite heavy. Also, I don't think it is possible to hand clean a cast iron pot to get that shine that this pot has. Sandblasting would be necessary to do that.

Suggestion: Enjoy your clean pot and DIL. lol

Quote:
It skipped a generation in my family I think. Or I got it from my dad's side more likely. My mom had/has one cast iron frying pan. It ispeasoned and she never uses it because she thinks it's too much work. I've tried to sneak it out of her house but haven't managed yet! I have a few of my own, different shapes and sizes and they're the first thing I reach for. DH knows to wipe them, not scrub them if he does the cleaning up. He gets it since he had a wok his parents had given him. He had it seasoned beautiful then an ex-girlfriend cleaned it for him one day. Scrubbed it shiny....
I reseasoned it for him and that was that!
wink.png

Even in a professional restaurant, we NEVER scrub the cast iron! If they are really greasy, a little hot water and dish soap to loosen it up, rinse well and dry immediately. It should NOT be "squeaky" clean. Wipe down with a rag or paper towel and oil, store upside down to keep dust from sticking to the oil film. Cast aluminum saute pans too! We had one morning shift chef that would hide "his" omelette pan on top of the stove hood when he went off duty so no one would accidentally wash it. I like the cornbread pans that are shaped like little ears of corn. Someone once stuck them in the huge commercial dishwasher. I cried! It took me 2 weeks of coating them and sticking them in the oven everytime I got the chance till I could use them again. If you have a smoker, that works well too, if you like a slight smoky tang to your food.

I agree it's not cast iron but cast aluminum, my mother had a complete set of Guardian Service she used everyday for 40 years, even a coffee pot to match....my sneaky sister wound up with all of it!
wink.png
...lol

Well, as usual...you all are right, It IS cast aluminum. I dont know what I was thinking, I know cast iron is black.....duh me! I still love this old pot...and will just try like heck to get it back the way it was..
Of COURSE I still love my DIL....she is a great girl..and i love teaching her, as much as she loves to learn. She asks me all the time for advise on cooking and bakeing. Like I said, she did not come from a family of cookers or bakers. I have to tell you all a great story about her...

several years ago....my son brought Ashley over to dinner. This of course was before they were married. I had made beets for supper....she sat there quietly contemplateing the "red things" When she finally leaned over to my son, and whispered.." what are those?" He said what are what?? She said " the red things" He laughed loudly and said...BEETS Ashley...those are beets! She was very imbarrased because he made a big deal out of her not knowing what beets were. Turns out, she LOVES cooked beets!
She is my right hand gal now when we cook for large family get togethers. I showed her how to make a "real" apple pie, with real apples....now she is better at it than I am!! Its her "calling card" Every get together....Ashleys Apple Pie is a big hit!
I love this girl...she fits in our family like a glove...a few loose threads...but we all have those dont we? LOL

Back
Top Bottom