Help with chicken - acts egg bound but no egg????

Thanks for all your help everyone. Our hen died this morning.
sad.png
Out of all our chickens, it had to be my 4 year old's chicken that dies.... A few days after I let them each pick out and name a chick, I realized it might have been a bad idea... but then I thought, "they will learn about life and death this way." I didn't think she would have to learn this soon. We all had a good cry this afternoon when I told her.

sunbear, Any luck with your girl?

I'm having the same issue with my Silkie pullet and she's BROODY! She's been showing signs of being egg-bound, for about two months now! I checked her abdomen and did find something round and hard. I soaked her and nothing came out, I fed her oil, and "injected" oil down the back way. But, that was 4 weeks ago!
barnie.gif
She's sitting on the nest this very minute, but has never laid any eggs, and she's 9 months.
he.gif
I was so scared for her life, and I still am, but she's got me sooo confuzzled.
barnie.gif
Does anyone know whats going on with her?

Sorry to hear about your loss..its always hard, isn't it? Unfortunately my little white leghorn hen is not doing well at all. I do not believe she is egg bound, but think it may have broken inside or something else happened. She seems to have an infection I think. Her back end is matted but dry and she stands more than sits. Very little poo and is mostly white stuff. And now for the last 2 days she has not touched any food or water and this morning she was laying down breathing hard. If I take her out of her cage she'll walk a bit but goes right back in her cage and lays back down. I have tried force feeding some water but it just seems to upset her. If she is still alive tonight when I get home I will try some more aggressive treatments but I'm not holding my breath.
Really hoped for a better outcome. I cured her of bumblefoot this past summer and really hate to see her end up with something else this serious. She is my most people friendly hen...
Thanks for asking and if I get better news I will certainly let you know.

Sorry to hear about your loss..its always hard, isn't it? Unfortunately my little white leghorn hen is not doing well at all. I do not believe she is egg bound, but think it may have broken inside or something else happened. She seems to have an infection I think. Her back end is matted but dry and she stands more than sits. Very little poo and is mostly white stuff. And now for the last 2 days she has not touched any food or water and this morning she was laying down breathing hard. If I take her out of her cage she'll walk a bit but goes right back in her cage and lays back down. I have tried force feeding some water but it just seems to upset her. If she is still alive tonight when I get home I will try some more aggressive treatments but I'm not holding my breath.
Really hoped for a better outcome. I cured her of bumblefoot this past summer and really hate to see her end up with something else this serious. She is my most people friendly hen...
Thanks for asking and if I get better news I will certainly let you know.
I hope yours does better than mine... I noticed that one of my hens was acting ill, so I brought her in last night, gave her some Baytril, but I guess it was too little, too late. She just died. I will do my own necropsy in a few hours a post my findings.

Unfortunately just got a call from home..she didn't make it...:-( I am so sad. First time I've lost one but when they get sick sometimes there just isn't much you can do. I have read a lot online lately and it appears that chickens are susceptible to so many things and it usually happens in a heartbeat like it did with my little Henrietta...think I'm done with the chicken business...
Many thanks for your concerns and postings. Please feel free to keep in touch, I truly need it sometimes!

Unfortunately just got a call from home..she didn't make it...:-( I am so sad. First time I've lost one but when they get sick sometimes there just isn't much you can do. I have read a lot online lately and it appears that chickens are susceptible to so many things and it usually happens in a heartbeat like it did with my little Henrietta...think I'm done with the chicken business...
Many thanks for your concerns and postings. Please feel free to keep in touch, I truly need it sometimes!

I am sorry for your loss.

I am sorry for your losses. I don't want to sound insensitive, but is there any chance of having a necropsy done? California does free for residents and lets you use their FedEx account number to save on shipping costs. I'll be doing my own today... Maybe you could do one, too? Again, I don't mean to sound insensitive, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks all for your sympathies! It really hurts to lose them because you spend so much time with them and they become family to you. I have researched all over the internet and locally as well and am quickly finding out that there is little known about chicken conditions and less willingness to help when you have them. I am so happy for this BYC forum where we can share our knowledge and tragedies knowing everyone understands the pain of loss as well as the joys of triumph when you can overcome something.

On the lighter side, I did finally cure my young Speckled Sussex of her sour crop, which had been a several month battle. And it was all because of the wonderful BYC forum person who cured her chicken of sour crop and suggested to others to use what she used; Monistat 3. I bought the WalMart brand and within days she was better!! Kudos to her for postings and willingness to help!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! And may we always enjoy our poultry friends!!

Back
Top Bottom