Help with Chinese geese

Kellyvan

Hatching
May 25, 2020
Hello!
I am new to the forum and fairly new to geese. I rescued 3 Chinese geese from a waterfowl rescue center in March. I was told they were all female. They are not. I have 2 ganders and one goose. The goose has sat on eggs for the past month and they've begun hatching. One gander, who has to be the father, has been with her during and after hatching. The other gander has begun entering the nesting area and attacking the father gander. I do not know what to do. They boys have gotten along well until now. I am scared they will seriously hurt each other, kill each other, or hurt the goslings. What can or should I do? I'd appreciate any and all help!

How long do you think I should keep the trouble maker separated? And thank you SO much for your help! I moved him to the barn. Hopefully he will calm down.

I would wait until the pair are out and about with their goslings before reintroducing him. Geese tend to be great 'flock' parents, and he may have been intruding on the pair's territory wanting to parent the gosling himself. If he continues to be aggressive, I would wait until the goslings are fairly grown. Good luck for a resolution.

So here's the update. After I kept Mr. Gander in the barn overnight, all three geese were calling to each other. I let him out; they got along at first. Then, the boys started fighting. I just picked him up and moved him and that seemed to do the trick. The mom and dad are with the babies and will let Mr. Gander around the babies and into the family most of the time. Only sometimes does Dad chase Mr. Gander away. I'm guessing Dad established his spot as number one male and Mr. Gander is respecting that. I'm hoping that one of the babies will grow up and be Mr. Gander's sweetheart. Thank you all for your help! I truly appreciate it!

IMG_3301.jpeg

Sorry it took so long to get the photo. They seem to be ok now. But Mr. Gander is issuing a lonely call, as if he's looking for a mate. Poor little thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom