Help with cleaning a brooder

KOelofsen

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Lancaster, SC, USA
Hello everyone.

I please need your help. It has been a week since n setup my brooder and it is time for a deep cleaning. I am wondering what you may be using to clean your brooders? I have heard stuff like vinegar and bleach mixed with water. To reptile enclosure cleaner.

I have been replacing the pine savings daily and keep the feeder and water setups clean.

Any suggestion will be great

I don't disinfect the brooder until I'm done with it for the season. If you are getting it ready for another batch than a diluted mix of bleach and water is what I have used in the past. Than I put the box out in the sun.

If it's the same batch of chicks than no need to disinfect it unless you are having any health problems like cocidia. Otherwise replace the bedding and clean out the waterer and feeder if necessary.

I use nothing at all nowadays.

Back when I brooded in a spare bathtub, I did no wet cleaning of any sort until the chicks had moved out, then it was a lot of lysol and scrubbing to get the dander off.

Keep in mind chickens have a delicate respiratory system and something like bleach is pretty strong, especially if the brooder is made of a material that's not easy to rinse/absorbs moisture (like wood).

I am going to simply purchase a new brooder. Currently using a pet playpen so switch out is easy.

Last year we took chickens abd brooder out to coop. when chicks were acclimated that thing was horrid so I threw it out; that's how I got idea to simply buy a new fresh one.

Back
Top Bottom