help with color and patterns for breeds... what are they...

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
juniorcurr.jpg

first pic.. this is billy the kid. he is five weeks old. any suggestions on what he is going to look like grown up? what color? is he a bantam or a bantam brahma?

the second pic, is an EE, but i have no clue what shell look like grown up.. any sugg?name is diamond

the third pic at five weeks old,, is this a RIR or a new hampshire red? what am i gonna look like? name is ruby.
chunkeycurrent.jpg
rubycurrent.jpg

the first one is a black cochin rooster, I think bantam, but then again I don't know how big the person behind him is. My standard black cochins usually aren't very big until a few months of age when they get a growth spurt.

The ee I think will not be a defined colour, ees rarely are of a definable colour since they are mutts.

Did the lil red chick have brown and black racing stripes as a chick? RIR tend to be pretty solid red as chicks, sometimes with very faint stripes on the back. New Hamps are supposed to be clearly chipmunk striped and reddish brown.

Hope this helps,
Anna

thanks fancy fowl

ruby. the red chick was a sandy red color when born. all solid color.

are blk cochins pretty when they are older? he is alot smaller than my other chicks that i have so i guess that means he is a bantam.

also, i keep hearing the name mutt
what does this mean? like mutt in dogs? i thought i payed for a ameracauna.... but i bought a mutt chicken? can they be bred, or since she is a mutt, should i not breed her

thank you:D

You wont get purebred ameraucana from a hatchery(and feedstores tend to only have hatchery chicks), hatcheries do advertise them as "americana/araucana" although the birds they sell are easter eggers aka mutts. They generally are ameraucana crossed with a more productive breed.

Back
Top Bottom