Help with color identification?

Crowdango

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
Hiya! So I've got a handful of 4ish week old quail that I was hoping you guys could help me identify the colorations of, and if they're feather sexable or not. I have mostly pictures of them all together because, turns out, they hate being harassed and trying to wrangle them and take pictures alone is a lot of work for two hands. I've numbered them to make things easier.

I know that #8, #9, and the un-numbered tuxedo can't be feather sexed. I think #1 is a tibetan(?) which would also mean not feather sexable.

OQWuKgW.jpg
eTYxYes.jpg

FeufUEG.jpg
BJ9usbx.jpg

The following 2 pictures are the same bird:
BtkAKM8.jpg
KJD9muG.jpg

Number 2 in the above pictures (my guess is he's a rooster? unless he's not feather sexable):
XKz5Mno.jpg

Number 9 in the above photos (I know tuxedos can't be feather sexed, but i'm curious as to what you'd call this color/pattern?):
FZLXINv.jpg

And another tuxedo - this one I know is a hen because she's laying (she's a few weeks older than the rest, un-numbered in the photos above). But what color/pattern would you say this is? It's super pleasing to the eye.
HmoG0Ao.jpg

Here are my best guesses
#1 - tibetan - not feather sexable
#2 - rosetta or Egyptian? probably male
#3 - rosetta? - not feather sexable
#4 - Italian - female
#5 - Silver (maybe SSC) - not feather sexable
#6 - Pearl - it's a bit early to tell, but I suspect male
#7 - Pansy - a bit early to tell, but I suspect female
#8 - Grau fee tux - not feather sexable
#9 - Probably SSC - not feather sexable

Thank you! I have a couple others who mostly look pretty similar to at least one of the ones already pictured, so now that I have an idea of colors I should be looking at info on, I can work on identifying them as they age.

Here are my best guesses
#1 - tibetan - not feather sexable
#2 - Egyptian probably male
#3 - rosetta - not feather sexable
#4 - Italian - female
#5 - Silver (maybe SSC) - not feather sexable
#6 - Pearl - it's a bit early to tell, but I suspect male
#7 - Pansy - a bit early to tell, but I suspect female
#8 - Grau fee tux - not feather sexable
#9 - Probably SSC - not feather sexable
Fixed it for you!!!! Awesome job!!!!!

1. Rosetta
2. Egyptian male
3. 3 is a roux fee I believe. It looks like it is somewhere between range and wild pattern. I would lean towards calling it scarlet fee.
4. Italian- feather sexable, can’t see the chest though.
5. Silver Italian aka snowie Probably 2 copies of fee. Feather sexable- can’t see chest
6. Italian fee, 1 copy of fee, aka dirty pearl looks male
7. pansy
8. Hard to tell with the lighting, I think grau fee tux, but the light could be playing tricks on me and it could be Tibetan.
9. The flavors of gray are hard to identify, it’s most likely silver, SSC. It looks like it has some wild pattern bleeding thru into the range pattern.

That last one looks gray fee, 1 copy of fee.

Is there a comprehensive guide anywhere of what to look for when feather sexing? Beyond speckled chests, I'm not sure what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom