Help with coop for 4 small chickens!!

Update and a couple more questions! My now 9 week old bantam Cochin mixes (probably silkie) have been out in the coop for a week now with no heat just straw and pine shavings, we live in southern Indiana. the weather has been in the 40's in the day and mid-high 30's at night. They have been sleeping cuddled up in one of the nesting boxes which everything in the coop is pretty much the same level (is this okay ive read that their breed tends to do this a lot or do I need to block them off, there just not much space in there) Even the perchs are just sitting on the ground. There's not really anywhere on the side for me to hook them into unless I somehow hang them from the top. I still really don't want to put heat out there unless I really have too. My husband is working on putting a chain link around the coop to keep the dog away and won't put an extension cord out until he can keep the dog from getting to it (will be done in the next couple weeks). Then if anything i think I'd be most comfortable with the heating pad (only if necessary) this week the temps are going to drop to 19-mid 30s at night. Please give me your advice! Will they be okay without heat or do I really need to figure out how to put heat other there or should I put them in their Rubbermaid brooder in the garage on the nights it's supposed to be below freezing. Also what do I need to do with the perches and nesting boxes?!

I would try a heating pad instead;  TSC has some for chickens.  I have zero experience with the heating pads, but they are worth a look.  For hanging a light safely. you could screw in a hanger to framing, and use a chain to attach the heat lamp, and also run the electric cord up through or next to the hanger.  I always double or triple attach lamps in the coop.  Fire safety is #1!  A lower watt red heat lamp, found in the reptile section at pet stores, would work.  That's not such bad weather, with some time for them to acclimate.  Maybe indoors at night, or the electric pad or light.  Mary

Update and a couple more questions! My now 9 week old bantam Cochin mixes (probably silkie) have been out in the coop for a week now with no heat just straw and pine shavings, we live in southern Indiana. the weather has been in the 40's in the day and mid-high 30's at night. They have been sleeping cuddled up in one of the nesting boxes which everything in the coop is pretty much the same level (is this okay ive read that their breed tends to do this a lot or do I need to block them off, there just not much space in there) Even the perchs are just sitting on the ground. There's not really anywhere on the side for me to hook them into unless I somehow hang them from the top. I still really don't want to put heat out there unless I really have too. My husband is working on putting a chain link around the coop to keep the dog away and won't put an extension cord out until he can keep the dog from getting to it (will be done in the next couple weeks). Then if anything i think I'd be most comfortable with the heating pad (only if necessary) this week the temps are going to drop to 19-mid 30s at night. Please give me your advice! Will they be okay without heat or do I really need to figure out how to put heat other there or should I put them in their Rubbermaid brooder in the garage on the nights it's supposed to be below freezing. Also what do I need to do with the perches and nesting boxes?

If they are fully feathered then they can go outside. I wouldn't put a heat lamp in such a small coop - fire risks. Since it is small they should be able to heat it with their bodies if they are old enough. The usual age for putting them outside is 8 weeks. That's usually when a broody hen would kick them out, too. 
I think that the run is big enough. If you notice that they are fighting alot you can let them out to free-range in the evening; they will put themselves away.

Update and a couple more questions! My now 9 week old bantam Cochin mixes (probably silkie) have been out in the coop for a week now with no heat just straw and pine shavings, we live in southern Indiana. the weather has been in the 40's in the day and mid-high 30's at night. They have been sleeping cuddled up in one of the nesting boxes which everything in the coop is pretty much the same level (is this okay ive read that their breed tends to do this a lot or do I need to block them off, there just not much space in there) Even the perchs are just sitting on the ground. There's not really anywhere on the side for me to hook them into unless I somehow hang them from the top. I still really don't want to put heat out there unless I really have too. My husband is working on putting a chain link around the coop to keep the dog away and won't put an extension cord out until he can keep the dog from getting to it (will be done in the next couple weeks). Then if anything i think I'd be most comfortable with the heating pad (only if necessary) this week the temps are going to drop to 19-mid 30s at night. Please give me your advice! Will they be okay without heat or do I really need to figure out how to put heat other there or should I put them in their Rubbermaid brooder in the garage on the nights it's supposed to be below freezing. Also what do I need to do with the perches and nesting boxes?

Back
Top Bottom