Help With Coryza

carp271

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2023
Hello folks first time on this forum. Looking forward to reading everything it has to offer. Looks like a ton of great info here. Quick question... I have a chicken that has Coryza. I separated her from the flock and my wife and I nursing her back to health. My question is what should I use to clean the temporary holding coop that I built to isolate her from the flock? Is there any special chemical or simple water and soap? How resilient is the bacterium of Coryza and does it live outside the host for a long time. Any help will be apricated. We are new flock owners and are dealing with this for the first time so excuse our lack of knowledge in this area.

What are the symptoms that you are seeing, and why do you think it is coryza? How many birds are sick? Have you recently added new birds to your flock? There are a number of respiratory diseases from viruses, bacteria, and fungus or mold. Most respiratory diseases that are caused by bacteria or mycoplasma may live a few days once the birds are gone. Is there a way you can get a bird tested or have your state vet do a necropsy on a bird that is sick?

One of the telltale symptoms of Coryza is a foul odor around the head area. Birds with Coryza are carriers for life and will easily spread the disease to other birds in your flock.
If there isnt a foul odor, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), another respiratory disease, is possible and is contagious to other birds and like Coryza, are carriers of the disease for life.
Here's a list of poultry diseases in this link. You can read about Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), as well as Infectious Bronchitis (IB) a viral disease.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Hello folks first time on this forum. Looking forward to reading everything it has to offer. Looks like a ton of great info here. Quick question... I have a chicken that has Coryza. I separated her from the flock and my wife and I nursing her back to health. My question is what should I use to clean the temporary holding coop that I built to isolate her from the flock? Is there any special chemical or simple water and soap? How resilient is the bacterium of Coryza and does it live outside the host for a long time. Any help will be apricated. We are new flock owners and are dealing with this for the first time so excuse our lack of knowledge in this area.
Here's an old thread on coop cleaning after disease, and as I read many suggested there, is mixing either bleach or vinegar with water, like a cup or so per gallon, put in a sprayer and spray it everywhere and let it dry. I personally would use bleach. Do not breathe, especially the bleach water nor let your chickens near it when it's wet.

I hope your hen gets better soon! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom