Help with currently hatching duckling.

Kelster65

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Rockfield, KY
Hi all, I went out to open the coop this morning and found my 2 newborn ducklings dead and their moms flew out with the rest of the tribe. Best I can tell from the coop camera, around 4:40am my drake got into the area I set up for them (basically a fenced off area with a tote nesting box and open area with food, water - it was not covered). The babies were in the open food area. I can't tell if he was just checking them out, if he killed them or if the babies got mixed up in the skirmish. When he went in, the mommas rushed out of the nest box and maybe they got trampled. One had a broken bill. I have 3 week old ducklings being raised by a broody moms chicken he has never bothered so I'm not sure what happened - the area has limited camera view due to the fenced sides. Long story short, the mommas hadn't been on the nest since 4:40am when that happened. I opened the coop at 8am. I was finally able to candle the remaining eggs and they were duds except for one that was hatching, which was now cold. I didn't know what to do as both moms seemingly abandoned the nest. I wrapped the hatchling egg in a moist paper towel (not covering the open hole) inside of a snack size ziploc bag and tucked it in my cleavage where it's safe and warm. As soon as it got warm, it started peeping again and had made some great progress. I haven't helped beyond coaching and cleaning of the bits of shell as they come away. What do I need to do to keep the membrane from sticking other than the moist paper towel? I'm terribly sad that this baby will imprint on me and will be alone for the time being. The 3 week old babies are too big and I'm somewhat fearful of getting additional babies from an outside source to introduce to my established flock for health andsafety reasons. So much would be going on there. Any suggestions as to how to help this little one navigate? I do work from home, have a feather duster to use in the brooder and have several brooder set ups so that's a plus.

Attachments

• 20230618_121742.jpg
    20230618_121742.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 149
The little one is ina heating pad "tent" at the moment. I may have done the wrong thing but I helped it out of the egg. I know not to assist, but I was concerned that it may have been trampled/ hurt and it was peeping rather urgently as if hurting. I was keeping the egg/ duckling warm but I didn't know what to do. I don't have an incubator as their momma was sitting on the nest, so had to shoot from the hip and pray. I was very careful and was able to leave what yolk and/or membrane attached to it's umbilicus intact so it could keep absorbing. The duckling is moving but seems a bit delayed. It was sort of throwing it's head and writhing and now that he/ she is fully out of the egg, it is sleeping and no longer sounding urgent. I've got it in a heating pad "nest" as it were so it will be warm. I've got a thermometer in there and I'm monitoring the temperature. The duckling is not up and walking yet so I was afraid to use the heat lamp. I don't know if the little nugget will be ok or not but it seems like it's doing better as the day goes on. It responds to my touch but isn't up and mobile which may be normal for a newly hatched duckling. Any thoughts? Will this little one be ok? I tried to attach a short video but it's not working. The video shows the duckling moving and peeping, especially when touched.

Attachments

• 20230618_175819.jpg
    20230618_175819.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 6
The little one is ina heating pad "tent" at the moment. I may have done the wrong thing but I helped it out of the egg. I know not to assist, but I was concerned that it may have been trampled/ hurt and it was peeping rather urgently as if hurting. I was keeping the egg/ duckling warm but I didn't know what to do. I don't have an incubator as their momma was sitting on the nest, so had to shoot from the hip and pray. I was very careful and was able to leave what yolk and/or membrane attached to it's umbilicus intact so it could keep absorbing. The duckling is moving but seems a bit delayed. It was sort of throwing it's head and writhing and now that he/ she is fully out of the egg, it is sleeping and no longer sounding urgent. I've got it in a heating pad "nest" as it were so it will be warm. I've got a thermometer in there and I'm monitoring the temperature. The duckling is not up and walking yet so I was afraid to use the heat lamp. I don't know if the little nugget will be ok or not but it seems like it's doing better as the day goes on. It responds to my touch but isn't up and mobile which may be normal for a newly hatched duckling. Any thoughts? Will this little one be ok? I tried to attach a short video but it's not working. The video shows the duckling moving and peeping, especially when touched.
It’s got some yolk left
Try to keep that from drying out can you put a small towel into a donut type thing so it’s a circle around baby. This may hejo keep it more still. Until baby is done absorbing she won’t be to active

Do I need to give her any probiotic water in a dropper or anything? She's still, not moving much right now. After the loss of the others I am praying this little survives.

I did put coconut oil on the umbilical area and what's left of the yolk/ membrane. I pulled all of it out of the egg so she'd have it and it's either been absorbed or turned to dust. There was NOT a true yolk sac with her, just some yellowish membrane and then the clearish egg membrane, but not knowing, what I was looking at, I took it all. She's sleeping and peeps off and on. Her little head and body look so small compared to the two that were killed, so I'm wondering, hoping she'll be ok. Her fluff is dry , she just looks so tiny. I know you all can't say for sure but have you seen this before?
20230618_175819.jpg

Last edited:
Do I need to give her any probiotic water in a dropper or anything? She's still, not moving much right now. After the loss of the others I am praying this little survives.
No
She is getting all she needs from the yolk
She won’t need water or feed for 24 hours after she is done absorbing
I know it’s hard as loosing them is heartbreaking
I can’t say if she will survive
She was taken out a little to soon but some do survive just fine
She will look lifeless and curl up as if still in her egg
Covering her lightly with a cloth or paper towel to help keep that yolk from air would be best

Back
Top Bottom