Help with Dioxytetracyline

Day 6. Only 5 eggs today. I'm gonna check the coop around bedtime just in case. Everyone seems healthy. No abnormal behavior to report. They only have one more day of meds...but I'm almost wondering if we should do 10 days instead of 7.

I don’t think the egg count has much to do with the antibiotics. This time of year with the low light, all hens take a break in laying. Mine stop laying during molt and don’t usually start back until the first of the year, possibly even Feb.

I was just saying that you could give oxytet up to 14 days. Seven is plenty. If you one hen is still acting puny, you can give it a few more days. Antibiotics may or may not help. I would have tried to determine which hen was having the lash egg, and just treat her. It is not a good idea to treat hens with antibiotics who do not have a bacterial illness, because of developing antibiotic resistance.

I don’t think the egg count has much to do with the antibiotics. This time of year with the low light, all hens take a break in laying. Mine stop laying during molt and don’t usually start back until the first of the year, possibly even Feb.

I was just saying that you could give oxytet up to 14 days. Seven is plenty. If you one hen is still acting puny, you can give it a few more days. Antibiotics may or may not help. I would have tried to determine which hen was having the lash egg, and just treat her. It is not a good idea to treat hens with antibiotics who do not have a bacterial illness, because of developing antibiotic resistance.
No one has laid a lash since. They also had no symptoms other than that so it was impossible to determine without doing a blood test for each bird. We don't have an avian vet in our area unfortunately. We might just stick to the 7 days based on this information

Dosage Of oxytetracycline 200 mg per ml is 1/2 ml (0.5 ml) to an adult chicken daily. It can be injected into the breast muscle, or many do give it orally.

You can buy Baytril (Enrofloxacin) here, and dosage is 0.05 ml per pound, or 0.25 ml for a 5 pound chickens daily for 5 days:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/
It is not approved for poultry, but some vets prescribe it for birds with EYP and salpingitis.
Can you tell me the oral dose for duramycin 200 if I put the injectable solution into a needleless syringe into the mouth?

I am wondering the same- if the dosage is the same or not @Eggcessive and if I am fully understanding that it is safe to give this orally with a syringe dropper even though this is the injectable solution that I have

Back
Top Bottom