Help with duck colours?

Of course it doesn't matter Runners are adorable in what ever color they come in. I even saw lavender the other day, Hadn't ever seen that in Runner yet.

I just heard from Cackle that my 3 Fawn and White are on their way.

Look forward to seeing your littles.
Sounds adorable!!! The colour difference might also be because we’re in France, perhaps different varieties are available here?

If she had a lot of different colors, did she perhaps have black and some of the pied colors, like fawn and white? If so, they might be the result of a mix of those two colors, causing black ducklings that inherited one copy of the runner (pied) gene. The gene was named after the fawn and white runners, so that's why they call it the runner gene :) One copy wouldn't give them full pied colors, but would cause white patches still. With you saying the bellies are yellow, this is what I lean towards, since a bib wouldn't extend down across the belly.

Or, if she has colors that are based on the mallard base, like Trout, and those mixed with a black runner or chocolate runner, etc, then it would be possible to end up with black bibbed runners from such a mix of colors :)

If she had a lot of different colors, did she perhaps have black and some of the pied colors, like fawn and white? If so, they might be the result of a mix of those two colors, causing black ducklings that inherited one copy of the runner (pied) gene. The gene was named after the fawn and white runners, so that's why they call it the runner gene :) One copy wouldn't give them full pied colors, but would cause white patches still.

Or, if she has colors that are based on the mallard base, like Trout, and those mixed with a black runner or chocolate runner, etc, then it would be possible to end up with black bibbed runners from such a mix of colors :)

Wow, the genetic science behind it is fascinating! She had several pied colours and quite a few white ducks, along with a couple that looked to be of the Mallard base. Saw some very dark pied but no plain black or brown. Thanks so much for your informative reply! Their wingtip feathers are ALREADY starting to come in and are light in colour, we have to wait and see haha! Mystery ducklings!

Wow, the genetic science behind it is fascinating! She had several pied colours and quite a few white ducks, along with a couple that looked to be of the Mallard base. Saw some very dark pied but no plain black or brown. Thanks so much for your informative reply! Their wingtip feathers are ALREADY starting to come in and are light in colour, we have to wait and see haha! Mystery ducklings!

You said their bellies are yellow too, right? If so, I'm betting it's most likely a case of inheriting a Runner gene, since a bib doesn't go down the belly :)

And the white ducks she had could really be any color at all 'under' the white, so who knows what color genes they had going on. It'll be fun to see what colors your little ones end up being.

Be sure to post pics we'd love to see the transformation.
Absolutely! Thanks everyone for replying, I’ll keep you all updated! On a side note, this is our first time raising ducklings from such a young age although we’ve done many chicks in the past, they’re very lively to watch! So funny to watch them all playing and running little “races”, quite different to chicks! Anyway yes I’ll keep you all posted!

Back
Top Bottom