Help With Duck Farming

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
Hey guys, Well a good friend of mine has offered to go into partnership with me selling duck eggs and ducklings...... and maybe down the track meat birds? As we live in the Noosa shire Sunshine Coast QLD, all the restaurants can't get enough! up to $15 a dozen! She is a very successful woman who owns a very famous landscaping business! So she said with her business skills and my husbandry knowledge, it would be big! She has alot of money and is willing to set it all up ...... no expenses spared! So just wondering, anyone do this as a business...... any tips or advice would be fantastic! Me raising ducks full time... and getting paid
droolin.gif
sorry needed a towel
lau.gif

Sounds like a great opportunity for you both. Good luck and check back with us after a bit to tell us how it's going! Have fun with your ducks/employees
lol.png

It is high to us since AUS $ are pretty close to US $ (1.00 AUS = .90 US).

But then again, we can buy a dozen battery hen eggs for less than $2.00 US.

When my big ducks were still producing, I sold a dozen for $4.00 US and people paid it since they are DELICIOUS!!!

I have several local friends who work at or own restaurants on the Sunshine Coast, so I have done my reaserch, but just wanted to know if anyone has any handy hints for beginners into a business like this? Cheers
smile.png

Quote:
G'day!
I don't doubt the demand but what about environmental restrictions? I know the area is a international biosphere reserve and I assume the Green Party is still in charge of the council. Must you free range your ducks or must you contain them ( I can never keep track on Green farming trends.)
We all know that ducks are 2 legged pigs that can polute a lot of water in a hurry. So do you have a good dependable water supply? What about waste management, what will you do with the poop?
Source and availability of feed? Is there a mill that can/will produce a finished duck layer ration for a reasonable price. or will you have to blend your own?
Here in the USA eggs for resturant use must be produced in a goverment inspected and regulated facility. Do you have the same type of regulations and are you ready to meet them?
Scale -you didn't mention how many eggs per week that you hope to produce? Years ago our Family farm produced ~40-50 dozen eggs per week as a sideline and I estimate that was full time 7 days/week for one person. Are there hatcheries that can provide ducks from a proven egg producing breed/strain or will you produce your own? If you produce your own do you have a market for the excess drakes?
Distribution- I assume someone will have to deliver to your individual customers on a least a weekly basis do you have people and transport to handle that?
Sales- resturants are usually looking for a steady source of supply and duck laying is more seasonal than chickens. resturants will need to be informed of the fact, eggs may be in short supply during some periods and they can't just double ther order with no notice because they added a new special to their menu.

As you may have noticed by now, I have done a lot of thinking about a project like yours, except I was going to be the money man, I had a good producer to fill your job. The project killer was the resturants, and having to do the production under government regulations to sell to resturants. When everything was said and done, I couldn't depend on preserving my capital, let alone make a profit. My production person changed to selling at farm markets where the chefs come to shop for fresh produce. Her way the chef takes the risk on the egg quality and number. She is making a decent profit that way but thinks the smaller local market is at its limits. maybe in a tourist mecca down under it would be a different story. Good Luck and post again if there is any way I can help.

Wow, that has really put things into perspective!!!! These are all the things I am just starting to look into! Cheers. Will let you know how I go

Quote:
I didn't mention a breed because I wasn't sure what breeds are available in Australia. BTW some of the new production hybrids usually without a name, just a breed number will lay more eggs than the best traditional breeds that have lost some of their zing because of the need of certain breed appearance.

Back
Top Bottom