Help with ducks!

vmperri

In the Brooder
May 30, 2015
I have a flock of three ducks: a male Rouen, a female Rouen and a female Blue Swedish. They get along well and the females are laying eggs. The problem comes when I introduced two adult Muscovy ducks (female and male) the male Rouen started to attack both ducks. The person who sold me the Muscovy recommended that I isolated the male Rouen for couple of days, which I am doing. Now, the female Rouen attacks both of the Muscovy, I don't know what's going on or what to do. If you have any suggestions, I'll appreciate them. Thanks a lot guys!

Some ducks just take a while to adjust to each other.

I would keep the original trio together and the Muscovies together, and keep the two groups separated by a temporary fence at first.

This lets them see each other without being a threat to each other.

Give everyone treats at the same time to help them associate good feelings with being near each other.

Since drakes are involved, this is going to take some time. Slow and easy is the approach.

After a few days, try letting them out together. Anything more than some chasing and shoving and a little poking, they get separated again. This will need to be done a number of times.

Eventually, if the ducks figure it out, they may be able to be one flock. I have to keep my Buff Trio separate from the rest of the flock due to personality clashes. It was not that difficult once I accepted the situation.

Some ducks just take a while to adjust to each other.

I would keep the original trio together and the Muscovies together, and keep the two groups separated by a temporary fence at first.

This lets them see each other without being a threat to each other.

Give everyone treats at the same time to help them associate good feelings with being near each other.

Since drakes are involved, this is going to take some time.  Slow and easy is the approach.

After a few days, try letting them out together.  Anything more than some chasing and shoving and a little poking, they get separated again.  This will need to be done a number of times.

Eventually, if the ducks figure it out, they may be able to be one flock.  I have to keep my Buff Trio separate from the rest of the flock due to personality clashes.  It was not that difficult once I accepted the situation.
Thanks, that'll be a little hard to do since I have a big yard and a small pen with a heat lamp that they sleep in. Thanks though, Its great suggestion

Back
Top Bottom