Help with dust bath

Pics

jvzookeeper

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Still trying to figure out how to post in the AZ thread, but anyway....... My girls don't like the stuff I have tried for the dust bath. They seem to like really fine dirt, but I can't find that anywhere. What mix do you use that your girls like??

Mine made their own. They seemed to find an area in the shade that they enjoyed being in and they created their own dust bath. But I’ve heard of people using sand. Mine personally preferred just fine dirt mine made their own. They seemed to find an area in the shade that they enjoyed being in and they created their own dust bath. But I’ve heard of people using sand. Mine personally preferred just fine dirt From My yard. Is there any you could salvage from your yard around your house. Because that would work as long as she’ll use pesticides or chemicals around your house

The finer the dirt the better they like it because they can work it into the feathers easier.
Florida dirt is very sandy so I don't do much, just add some wood ash from my burn pile occasionally. I don't add DE, some people do. I've also heard of some adding peat moss. There are actually online sources that sell 'poultry bath' products. I've never tried one, so can't speak to them, I think it could get pretty expensive. Here is one, it contains DE, so do some reading on that before making up your mind.
https://www.oregonnaturalsdust.com/product-page/dust-bath-16-lbs

I have heard of a product called PDZ which is an all natural product lots of people use in place of DE. Haven’t tried it myself but actually on my way to go pick some up for my goat shelter. Zeolite it is much safer than DE and does not have the respiratory issues. You could look into that product. And yes I have also heard wood ash. Good call

Mine found a spot where the raspberry frame used to be, that had planting soil in it. Pocket gopher killed all the raspberries, so rather than replant I built the run over where they used to be. They dug down into the old trench, and use that. This area is all loess soil, so they could dig out any spot, really - the new chicks just use the spots where the others have been scratching, since the older chicks are jealous of their big dustbath.

Back
Top Bottom