Help with Eglu Classic Run (what's underfoot)

chichow

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
BYC some help please.

I'm just starting and I picked up a second hand Eglu Classic.

My Classic and Run (stock photo here http://www.omlet.us/products_services/products_services.php?view=Eglu%20Classic)
are
on a wooden deck above my garage. Its the best I could do in the dense area of Chicago.

I can take an old drawer and fill with sand, etc. for the chickens to dust and scratch in.

My bigger concern is...the run is just on the wooden deck. Any suggestions on trays or containers or something that I would hold
whatever I put down (wood chips? sand?) for the chickens to walk around in/poop in (something that I would be changing every once in a while)

I don't have a lot of room to work with.

Thanks much!

Try a layer of plain old black plastic covered in at least 2 layers of landscape cloth. Or build a sandbox big enough to set the whole eglu and run into.

Quote:
That's what I would do. Build a box of pressure treated lumber maybe with 2x6's or 2x8's to give you a little bit of depth. Put down a landscape fabric bottom for drainage. I would treat the deck under the run with some kind of water proofing stuff. Fill the box with sand, compost, mulch whatever.

I should take a photo.

I basically just section-ed off a part of my deck. 2x4 plank nailed to the deck. And a 8" plank attached to that. Filled in with Pine Chips. Whole Eglu and run on top of that.

I'm so short on space though that I can barely get my eglu tray out (I need to tilt the eglu and rotate the tray 90 degrees to get it out). Still it looks good and seems functional.

--

Back
Top Bottom