help with electric fencing!

patnjess

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
I know nothing about it, I want to run it around the coop and the pig pen area. the foxes and coons have taken 15 of my birds and they are so smart and have avoided all my traps, so now I'm onto the big guns.
so I need to know everything, what I need to buy, how to set it up, what kind, so forth and so on. I'm done with these murders.

Here are 3 places to start looking, afence.com redsnapr.com and afence.com Those 3 will tell you everything you need to know and they show you how to set up your fence.

"premier fencing"," Ramm fencing" are the two I used for horses and birds. They have the best connectors that last. Both on the web with great info.

This page really helped me figure out what to do:
http://www.plamondon.com/faq_electric_fencing.html

The keys are wire placement, enough power (measured in joules, not volts), and proper grounding. Do this right and you will virtually eliminate predation. Coons in particular are tricky though, your fence has to be working all the time, they can tell if it's off. When you first get everything hooked up, bait the wire by smearing some peanut butter on it (just BEFORE you energize). That will help "train" the raccoons to respect the wire.

I run aluminum wire about 4" off the ground, and polytape at knee-height. The low wire keeps critters from crawling under the fence, and the polytape is at dog-nose height; it also is a visual warning for those critters who have already learned to respect the fence. If a bear comes around, I'll add another wire about hip-high and bait it.

These things really work, if you build them right and keep them maintained. And electric fencing is way easier and faster to put up than any other kind of fence. I wouldn't even try to keep chickens without the hot wire. Do it quickly, while you still have some chickens left!

Quote:
Good advice!

As far as solar chargers go, I love our Parmak charger. They can be really good as long as you buy one that fits what you need and the eviorment you're using it in. We live in an area that loses power regulary so solar was a natural choice for us. The fact that we also live in the pnw where there are lots of clouds and rain made it a bit tougher, but with proper instalation it has worked very well for us.

thanks guys! this is something we are going to start doing today. We found a spot near the roof where they were getting in. We have 25 chicks with more hatching and I sure as heck don't want them to die
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom