Help with geese eggs!

jimi79

Chirping
Oct 18, 2020
I am about to attempt Geese eggs and hand-turning them for the first time. We have 6 very expensive eggs. I have read the tutorial (https://bramblewoodhill.com/blog/incubating-hatching-goose-eggs) and I feel ready, I am planning on using my Styrofoam Incubator so I can have a dedicated set up. As opposed to a cabinet incubator that I have several trays of eggs in and will hatch every weekend. I have about 6 thermometers in there now and as I know there are some variances in the temperature in areas. One corner is 2-3 deg cooler than the rest of the incubator. I am planning on using a small matt to keep the eggs from rolling around and am considering put a small tray in there to keep the eggs in similar as pictured, in one of the areas that is more consistent with temperature. Please provide any tip or strategies for goose eggs. The tutorial I provide is there anything I should do differently. It seem very consistent to what the breeder recommended but this is also there first year hatching Geese.

Attachments

• 71Hc0mMB4FL._SX355_.jpg
    71Hc0mMB4FL._SX355_.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 7
I am a few days away from misting and cooling my goose eggs. Do I take the eggs out of the incubator or just remove the lid? My plan was to remove the eggs and close tha bator up to maintain himidty, but I read a post that said take the lid off and mist them. Then put the lids on after 10 min.

Me Sebastopol eggs hatched about a week ago! Best of luck to you, friend! Some things I’ve learned while hatching over the years...
1. A non slip mat of some kind (I use a tea towel) will help your goslings to stand. Watch out for “splay legs”. I’ve hatched ducks and two different breed of geese. Never had an issue with the ducks, but it happened often with the geese. There’s an easy wrap job you can do if it happens.
2. I also used that website for guidance. (First time NOT using my hatching guid book 100%). I found that it’s great advice, but pay close attention to your climate. Dry in your house vs humid. I had to adjust my humidity for my goslings a few times. My air cells weren’t dipping as they should have been. Still, it’s a great little resource for guidance. Just pay attention to your climate and adjust accordingly.
3. I use “Hydro-Hen” in the water to help make weaker ones strong, and strong ones healthy. I didn’t always use this, but I’m glad I was encouraged to try it! I will continue using it (alternating between fresh water and mixed).
4. When you take the eggs out for cooling, now is the best time to candle! Their out of the bator anyway! Mark both sides of your egg. It just helps make Turing easier. I keep a log journal of my progress. Also to remind myself which side I turned to and when I did it. I Mark a letter “A, B, C...” on one side and an X on the other. It’s helped me out a few times 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m sure you’ve already read this but, don’t forget to turn off numbers. I turned 3 times a day.
I hope I’ve been helpful in some way! Best of luck with your hatching process!!!! I’d love an update on how it’s going!

Back
Top Bottom