1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with gender and breed from local produce shop??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by belindah4007, Oct 9, 2012.

1. belindah4007

belindah4007 New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hi, we are relatively new to having chickens. We have 3 girls that are 2.5 yo and weve raised from chicks. They are Isa Brown cross and Australorp cross. They are gorgeous girls but one of the browns has stopped laying so we invested in 3 more chicks. Two are from the local produce shop and we have no idea what they are. The black one looks like an Australorp cross but the brown speckled one I am suspecting has some Faverolle in it. She is the biggest and is probably 7 - 8 weeks. Any ideas on gender and breed. Any thought s would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're in Australia.

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi from Perth! Are they all 7-8 weeks old? Not sure on breed but they all have a lot of red in the comb and wattles which is characteristic of roosters.

3. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I'm not sure if they are crossed with a faverolle because faverolles have a single comb not a rose comb like above. also faverolle roosters are mainly black with females having no black at all. I'm not sure what they are but they sure are pretty chicks! :) (they look like they have some Rhode island red in them) oh and this is irrelevant but your the first person I have met on here from Australia!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The one in question is 100% a boy and is a silkie cross, hence the feathered legs and the comb style as well as the extra toe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by