Help with Gender ID on Two Chickens

adriayna

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting here. Thanks for your help!

I have two chickens that I purhcased in July from Mypetchicken.com. I paid to have them hens, but you know these things are never completely accurate. I'm curious about two of my chickens.

The chickens are 13 1/2 weeks old. Here they are!

Lentil - Easter Egger Bantam - 13 1/2 weeks old
Lentil, the yellow one, just looks roosterly. I've looked online and I'm fairly convinced that Lentil is a Rooster. She seems to have some pointy feathers coming in around the head, and I think her tail is starting to curl a little.

Pinto - Australorp - 13 1/2 weeks old
Pinto got me wondering last week. Our neighbor's rooster showed up to strut his stuff, and Pinto pecked at him a bit, while the others generally ignored him....so is she a rooster? I don't know. There is no crowing or anything like that. But her aggressive behavior is a little out of synch with the other hens. Pinto doesn't have a very red comb, so I am hoping she's a hen. Here are three shots of Pinto, taken this morning:

Any help would be appriciated!

the ee is a pullet. they pointiness you see is due to the pattern on the feathers, as for the other looks like a cockerel right now

The black one is an australorp.

The thing is, her feathers don't look any different than the other hen, so that's what's confusing.

You are sure the EE isn't a rooster? That's a relief!

I can take better photos if you need a different angle.

Back
Top Bottom