Help with gender on special needs chicken please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BasicallyHeather, Sep 2, 2011.

1. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    This is Buttons, our special needs bantam cochin/white leghorn X. Any guesses as to age or gender? She/he is our sweet little lap chicken, thoroughly and ridiculously spoiled. We'd just like to know if it's a she or he, and maybe how old she is. We have had him/her for almost a month, and the comb and wattles are darker now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We adore our sweet little baby, and it makes no difference to us if it's a male or female...we just get tired of mixing up the gender pronouns all the time! [​IMG]

Thank you all [​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I guess roo...

3. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    I hope our buttons is a hen!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    how is is she/he? can you take some close ups of the legs and back? I'm going to guess female.

5. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    I am basically heathers daughter, and as buttons owner i thought it might be useful to tell you that our Cochin banty/leghorn X does his love dance fo all the girls, including buttons. Buttons is the chicken in my avatar [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  6. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    She/he is very tame, very interested in joining the flock in ranging the yard (even though it can barely walk because of its deformed legs), and our rooster does do his side-stepping "love dance" in its direction...

Close-ups:

Tail
    [​IMG]

Legs
    [​IMG]

7. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    looks ALL GIRL to me! congrats!

8. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    Not sure on sex, but I think it is a cochin/sultans b/c of the crest and 5 toes...
    I had a hen that was had a deformed feet that lived to be 5 and layed big brown eggs every day...

9. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    I have a special needs RIR pullet with the same disability (or so it appears). We was our rescue, and she's wonderful!

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I don't think the parents are cochin/leghorn, unless they are also mixed. Niether cochins or leghorn have 5 toes or (head) crests. could you post some pics of the parents? might have some houdan or sultan as De suggested

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by