Help with genetics

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
I want to breed Buff Laced Wyandottes.
So I need All the help I can get!!!!!!!!
I don't know of any people that breed them in Canada, so if you do please let me know.
I started this tread becase I was just looking at the tread on Gold laced Orpingtons and thought it would be nice to start a tread on Buff laced Wyandottes.
Tell me all you know on breeding these Great birds.
Here is some pictures of my goal:
www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html
yoker

Last edited:
I am not a genetics pro by any means at all. But, seems to me a blue laced red would be the closest place to start. Then you could use primarily splash laced birds, and dilute the red to a buff color. I don't know how you would get the splash to be a white, but you could get a close dilute splash color.

The birds in the picture carry one dominant white gene. The color would be a long term project. You would have to get the dominant white from a commercial red sex linked female. I do not know what kind of commercial red sex linked bird is available in Canada. Find a red sex linked bird that has a white tail and red body.

You would cross the red sex linked female with a male gold laced wyandotte. Some of the birds will be buff /white with white spots on the tips of the buff feathers. I would not worry about comb type, rose comb is dominant so you will retrieve the comb when you back cross to a male wyandotte. Back cross the female offspring I just described with a male gold laced wyandotte. Pick the best looking females and back cross them with the male gold laced wyandotte. You will have to back cross to the male wyandotte to retrieve the body type. Once you get the body type then you can cross siblings or back cross to parents to get the desired color and best lacing.

If the red sex linked female is produced from Rhode Island red, then the first cross may produce some birds that are red and not buff. Go ahead and use them- you will have to breed out the mahogany gene which causes the dark red color in RIR.

Should be interesting.

Tim

Last edited:
I have Red Sex-a-links already they are Isa Browns.
RIR Father leghorn mother.
I first have to find a GLW Breeder I know of a SLW breeder So if you Know a way for that to help that Would be great.
After 8 generations you can call it a Wyandotte Right.
Thanks so much

A silver laced male will make the breeding way toooooo difficult. Every time you back crossed to the silver male you would have to do extra crossings and produce many birds to get what you want. Even if you used a silver laced hen and a isa male it would make things more difficult.

You need a gold laced wyandotte male to make things as simple as possible. The male needs to carry the same sex linked genes (silver or gold) as the bird you want to produce.

Tim

O.K. do you know enyone in Alberta or Canada that has a GLW rooster?

tadkerson? do you know?
and how do you get bantem bufflaced wyandottes?
and bantem SS?

Back
Top Bottom