Help with goat house ideas am i I doing this right.

dovahkiin

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Ok so I really want to make sire I'm doing this right so this post is cross posted.
I have two nigerian dwarf goats both females coming to us the last week of July they will both be 8 weeks old and weaned. We found this for super cheap and it's very sturdy but it definitely needs some work. It was designed for a rather large and aggressive dog so Im thinking it will hold up fairly well. We are planning on putting new roofing material of some kind on top its regular house asphalt tile roofing now but its falling off. We are gonna scrub it and repaint it and add a foot of wood around the base of it to fix were the previous tenant had a few midnight snacks. We are also think of adding a door for better clean out and a hay rack feeder inside. Do I need to add some kind of door to the opening for them? The backyard is fenced with a 6 foot high fence and we have a great dane whose bark usually drives off predators in the area. I was thinking of adding a little 4foot high fence in the front like a play area and then letting them out in the mornings like I do my chickens. Are these good ideas? Will this work at all? This is my first time with goats and I want to give them the best home possible!

20200613_104832.jpg

Ok so I really want to make sire I'm doing this right so this post is cross posted.
I have two nigerian dwarf goats both females coming to us the last week of July they will both be 8 weeks old and weaned. We found this for super cheap and it's very sturdy but it definitely needs some work. It was designed for a rather large and aggressive dog so Im thinking it will hold up fairly well. We are planning on putting new roofing material of some kind on top its regular house asphalt tile roofing now but its falling off. We are gonna scrub it and repaint it and add a foot of wood around the base of it to fix were the previous tenant had a few midnight snacks. We are also think of adding a door for better clean out and a hay rack feeder inside. Do I need to add some kind of door to the opening for them? The backyard is fenced with a 6 foot high fence and we have a great dane whose bark usually drives off predators in the area. I was thinking of adding a little 4foot high fence in the front like a play area and then letting them out in the mornings like I do my chickens. Are these good ideas? Will this work at all? This is my first time with goats and I want to give them the best home possible!

20200613_104832.jpg
Good luck with your goats! I have no idea, but I'll tag @chickens really and @cassie for you. Hopefully they can help.

The house is fine for two goats. Just always consider the jumping goats that won't stay confined. I have a Doe that can clear 6 foot fences without a problem. Barking dogs are an issue till they get used to the barking. Lots of play things to jump on and play are needed because a bored goat gets into trouble.

The house is fine for two goats. Just always consider the jumping goats that won't stay confined. I have a Doe that can clear 6 foot fences without a problem. Barking dogs are an issue till they get used to the barking. Lots of play things to jump on and play are needed because a bored goat gets into trouble.
Awesome thank you for the advice I didnt think dwarf goats could jump that high I'll be careful with fencing. What do you recommend for goat toys and play areas? We are definitely trying to make it nice for them. And Hopefully they dont mind the dog too much the chickens adjusted quick thankfully. Shes mostly curious of the animals and for the most part ignores the farm animals after she checks them out. Shes done wonders keeping hawks away so far.

Back
Top Bottom