1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Hard Water

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, May 13, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

For the most part the hard water doesn;t bother me too much other than needing more lotion. HOWEVER! My glasses come out with so many water deposits on them they look filthy. I switched toa liquid detergent, and added jet dry. No help at all. Does any one know of anything that can be added to a dishwasher to stop this?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We have found that the powered detergent leaves less residue than the liquid. You will want to be aware that liquid DW soap is harder on your pipes, but powdered is harder on your septic. If you have a septic tank and have pumped every couple of years it shouldn't be a problem though. We used liquid DW soap for years and learned the hard way that the hard water sediments and the soap can crust inside the pipes.

3. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:I work at a water conditioning plant, how hard is your H2O?

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Do you have a water softner? Have you checked it to make sure there is salt in there and the filter has been changed?

If there is no salt...add salt till full and then pour 2 gallons of water in there and push regen now...do this 2x and you will have soft water again.

5. debilorrah

N owater softener and I have no idea the ph balance in the water, just that it is HARD.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We have very hard water. I have just gotten used to the stains on the glasses. About every month or 2 I put all of the stained dishes in the DW and run it with that lemon water stain remover, and they are beautiful again.

7. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    You may want to look into a softener, but first have your water tested. In order to set a softener properly, you will need to know how hard it is. Culligan usually has rental softeners available, for those who rent.

8. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    I add vinegar to the jet-dri compartment. We do have a softener and it helps a little, but I have just gotten used to the mineral stains.

9. debilorrah

I should probably mention we are on a well.

10. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    It really doesn't matter, well or city. If you have hard water, a softener will help, if you have Tannans in your water or rust, you will need different equipment. Or you can just get use to it. Everyone has some type of water problens here, most have hard, I have very soft from my well, so much so it is bad for you to drink if you have sodium problems, and it makes my coffe taste bad...but it is great for your appliances. Really hard water will take its toll on you appliances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by