Help with hatching!

The chicks don't look like they're dried to the membrane.
I see what you mean. (Gosh…I am ALWAYS reading and trying to learn more about incubation. I hate doing anything wrong to endanger them. I know it Is a slow process and to be patient and I absolutely don’t want to cause them harm.). The fact that they are not dried to the membrane, but not moving around for about 8 hours since zipping somewhat…does that mean they are just resting?

I decided to find out what was happening. It just seemed long enough…too long even. And, with the outcome, I think I would decide to help sooner next time. Both little ones didn’t make it. I agree, now, that 7 hours is too long to wait after they have zipped so much and regret not helping sooner. The chicks seemed just fine and strong while they were zipping. Anyway, I did take a few pics…hoping an experienced eye here may be able to tell me what may have happened? Thank you everyone…for your support and help. I don’t know what I would do without this site to help me through these things…repeatedly.

Attachments

• AF2B3C81-2AED-4EFE-AE19-3531EE3FF3F8.jpeg
    AF2B3C81-2AED-4EFE-AE19-3531EE3FF3F8.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 11
  • 58FA27F2-37E7-4308-9F5A-4A009467399A.jpeg
    58FA27F2-37E7-4308-9F5A-4A009467399A.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 11
I don't know what your humidity levels were at while incubating but I'd lower it next time. Sticky chicks are from high humidity incubating. The first chicks hatch fine but the stragglers won't have a chance.
Sorry about the ones that didn't make it.

It's been my experience that oxygen is very important. Here is what I have done with great results. After seeing the external pip, I chip the shell pieces away and break the internal membrane. This allows the chick to breathe and get the blood pumping. This helps them absorb all blood and nutrients. They usually rest for a bit then start to zip. A proper zip should take less than 15 min, 5 in most chicks, some go an hour. I always mark the air cell ot last candling before lockdown so I know where it's safe and away from blood vessels. I feel that this helps them get the oxygen needed for the work ahead in zipping and poping out. Some argue that if they aren't strong enough to break free, they won't survive, but I haven't experienced that yet and feel it's the exception that happens far less than discussed. Many also push the shrink wrapping fear when helping but time is what causes them to get stuck in combination with humidity. I usually wait for one hatched chick to emerge before doing anything prolonged in the incubator to help with humidity, as a wet chick will keep the humidity as high as possible. Here's a pic of what I do and I hope it helps in the future! We do this knowing that not all will survive and it's still so worth it! Enjoy the fuzzballs!
20230124_032559.jpg

Back
Top Bottom