Help with hatching!

Some argue that if they aren't strong enough to break free, they won't survive,
It's not so much they won't survive but there are reasons usually why they can't out get themselves and most are not willing to have inferior issues in their flocks. Especially if they breed for selling or for themselves. Just not good practice for superior traits in flocks, mother nature usually knows best that's how it is in nature only the strong or best traits survive and not passing on inferior traits. But if they are only pets or not worried about inferior traits then by all means help as you wish. I'm not against helping but there are limits to what reasons to help for some folks.

It's not so much they won't survive but there are reasons usually why they can't out get themselves and most are not willing to have inferior issues in their flocks. Especially if they breed for selling or for themselves. Just not good practice for superior traits in flocks, mother nature usually knows best that's how it is in nature only the strong or best traits survive and not passing on inferior traits. But if they are only pets or not worried about inferior traits then by all means help as you wish. I'm not against helping but there are limits to what reasons to help for some folks.
I understand that and agree. But, for my backyard flock, every hatch counts. If I were buying a pure breed stock, I'd want the best too, but I just want eggs. Issues with positioning inside the shell or minor humidity problems shouldn't be a death sentence and I won't watch a chick die because of a minor hurdle. Even mother hens peck the pip to get them going. There's nothing natural in a heated box either, yet here we are. I just feel that the purists flood reality sometimes. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :lau

I understand that and agree. But, for my backyard flock, every hatch counts. If I were buying a pure breed stock, I'd want the best too, but I just want eggs. Issues with positioning inside the shell or minor humidity problems shouldn't be a death sentence and I won't watch a chick die because of a minor hurdle. Even mother hens peck the pip to get them going. There's nothing natural in a heated box either, yet here we are. I just feel that the purists flood reality sometimes. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :lau
No feathers ruffled here I believe that is exactly what I stated. The statement made was they wouldn't survive I was just pointing out the reasons some don't like to help :)

Furthermore, I will say that if you go into this half cocked, you will face problems that you need education and/or experience to overcome. That's why this forum is here! There is a reason why chicks pip and zip. It helps them absorb blood and nutrients. When they pop the top of the shell it helps separate the umbilical cord properly as designed. These are things that take time to learn and can be learned the hard way. If you step in, you need to understand the basic concept of what's going on inside and we are all working to learn that better every day. I just feel that close mindedness prevents that and is much of the early education in a lot of endeavors like chicken rearing.

Back
Top Bottom