help with hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenfarmer14, Jan 27, 2013.

1. chickenfarmer14

chickenfarmer14 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    a chick started to hatch last night and is still in the egg how long untill i should help

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I would leave it alone for 24 hours. You can help it by gently peeling the egg apart. If you see blood, then stop.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    This article will explain how to assist, if needed:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

But give it time, those little things still have a lot to do after pipping through the shell. They have to absorb the yolk and the blood in the membrane and that could take up to 24 hours. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  4. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    seconding this,but also want to add; never assume they are to weak/a gonner and shoud not recieve manual help if they are making noises/movement but not making any progress with pipping.
    low bator humidity can cause shrink wrapping on otherwise healthy chicks,it makes the membrane stick to the chick.
    if shrink wrapping was suspected,there are some good videos on youtube on how to birth chickies manually and good how tos via google.

some users do not manualy help chicks who dont manage to pip,as their thought process on this is that the chicks werent meant to come out and will probably be to weak or sick.
    however it doesnt always work that way so its good to keep an open mind.

the cochin flock of mine [six chicks] were all shrink wrapped and all needed manualy helping;they had not pipped-they are the healthiest chickens have ever had.
    the first flock who are now a year old-they were born normaly,one;kanner [cock] was born with cocci which had caused him developmental delay [he is now the healthiest and biggest fella everyone who sees him say they have ever seen :p ] a hen;lorna was born with a foot and mental impairment-she is now a fantastic mother to be and she cares for tito [cock] and temple [hen] who share the coop with her.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    update? [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X 2 What happened?

7. chickenfarmer14

chickenfarmer14 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    it made it out and is alive and well, second hatch finished 20 little buggers runnin around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by