Air sac seems small

I have some Silkie eggs that are on day 14/15 of incubation. The humidity was off so my incubator was around 60% up until yesterday where I let it go down. My concern is their air cells don’t seem to be “shrinking” with lockdown happening tomorrow or Thursday. The chicks are all alive in their eggs but I’m concerned for hatch day.
Should I even increase the humidity for hatching?
Would placing them vertically in an egg carton help them hatch easier? Just trying to troubleshoot for hatching.
I hatch 100's of silkie eggs and this wouldn't even be an issue. I would simply bring the humidity back down to 45-50% until lockdown, which is five days from yesterday, then raise it back up to 65-70% when you lock them down. Humidity is an average and isn't as critical as the temperature. They'll have plenty of time (five days) to adjust if needed before they have to hatch.

Best wishes for a successful hatch!! ☺️

I have some Silkie eggs that are on day 14/15 of incubation. The humidity was off so my incubator was around 60% up until yesterday where I let it go down. My concern is their air cells don’t seem to be “shrinking” with lockdown happening tomorrow or Thursday. The chicks are all alive in their eggs but I’m concerned for hatch day.
Should I even increase the humidity for hatching?
Would placing them vertically in an egg carton help them hatch easier? Just trying to troubleshoot for hatching.
Yes, place them vertically in an egg carton, this will help them when they start zipping.

I hatch 100's of silkie eggs and this wouldn't even be an issue. I would simply bring the humidity back down to 45-50% until lockdown, which is five days from yesterday, then raise it back up to 65-70% when you lock them down. Humidity is an average and isn't as critical as the temperature. They'll have plenty of time (five days) to adjust if needed before they have to hatch.

Best wishes for a successful hatch!! ☺️
Okay, thank you. I’ve only ever had the hen hatch eggs. The temperature has been very consistent fortunately. I was just afraid of the chicks drowning at hatch from the humidity.

Should I keep turning them until lockdown? Or should I place them in the cartons?
I would treat them as usual. Turn until lockdown. I think Sean meant at lockdown, when you remove the turners/racks then you could put them in egg cartons. Me personally, I wouldn't bother. It's up to you.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you. I’ve only ever had the hen hatch eggs. The temperature has been very consistent fortunately. I was just afraid of the chicks drowning at hatch from the humidity.
Silkies are a bit different as their shells are like porcelain, so higher humidity helps them at lockdown to be able to break through it. Prior to that, I've had spikes both directions. Generally, mine were just for a day whereas yours has been for nearly two weeks, but still, they'll be fine. I almost wonder if you hadn't caught it if they wouldn't have been fine too, as 60% isn't that outlandish, but since you did, all the better!!

Silkies are a bit different as their shells are like porcelain, so higher humidity helps them at lockdown to be able to break through it. Prior to that, I've had spikes both directions. Generally, mine were just for a day whereas yours has been for nearly two weeks, but still, they'll be fine. I almost wonder if you hadn't caught it if they wouldn't have been fine too, as 60% isn't that outlandish, but since you did, all the better!!
These are a Silkie/EE mix, and the eggs are actually blue. I’m not sure if that would change the shell texture, but they do hatch earlier than other chickens.

I would treat them as usual. Turn until lockdown. I think Sean meant at lockdown, when you remove the turners/racks then you could put them in egg cartons. Me personally, I wouldn't bother. It's up to you.
Yes, I meant that....at lockdown I would put them in an egg carton. With that small of an air cell, the chicks will be "wetter" than if the air cell was more towards the norm. Being wetter is like a lubricant and with a high Rh%, it tends to make the chicks get stuck! What this means is sometimes high humidity will make a chick become stuck in one place inside the shell while it's trying to zip. Instead of moving around the shell, everytime it tries to turn it slips back to the same position as before, thus a stuck chick.
If the eggs are in a horizontal position at hatching in an incubator, the egg tends to rotate when the chick starts to zip. If in an up right position, the shell is less likely to move, at least this has been my experience with hatching.

These are a Silkie/EE mix, and the eggs are actually blue. I’m not sure if that would change the shell texture, but they do hatch earlier than other chickens.
You've hatched these in less than 21 days before? Even purebred silkies the earliest I had one at 19 days, some 20 days, and the majority are 21 days. This was recently on a batch of 28 from shipped eggs and my own. I actually have proof. I know you don't need it but it's just odd I do. ☺️

You've hatched these in less than 21 days before? Even purebred silkies the earliest I had one at 19 days, some 20 days, and the majority are 21 days. This was recently on a batch of 28 from shipped eggs and my own. I actually have proof. I know you don't need it but it's just odd I do. ☺️
My hen has. This is my first time incubating. Day 19/20 is when they hatch. I remove all eggs but when the hen wants to sit I give her the eggs back. From her sitting it’s consistently 19-20 days. Maybe she incubates warmer? She’s a very sweet and committed mama.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom