2 chicks under broody hen!!

LLvida

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
We came out today on day 21 and 2 chicks have hatched!!! 3 eggs still under her and no pips. They are maran blends (not her eggs) and I’m curious if they just have different timing, can’t pip or aren’t hatching?

How long do we wait and should I try to help pip then like I would with an incubator?

Also mom is in a nesting box off the ground…how long do I leave her here before moving her and the chicks to their own little chicken house?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 32
We came out today on day 21 and 2 chicks have hatched!!! 3 eggs still under her and no pips. They are maran blends (not her eggs) and I’m curious if they just have different timing, can’t pip or aren’t hatching?

How long do we wait and should I try to help pip then like I would with an incubator?

Also mom is in a nesting box off the ground…how long do I leave her here before moving her and the chicks to their own little chicken house?

Thank you!!!
Personally, I would give it another day or two for the eggs to hatch, but mom won't wait that long most likely. She's going to want to move her chicks that hatched to food/water. We have had the same situation. We take mom and her chicks and unhatched eggs and give them a box on the floor, set on its side with her nest or a new nest in it. I set the feeder with chick starter in it and a waterer right outside this box. This way, mom will most likely stay sitting on those eggs, and the chicks can get food/water whenever.

I would candle those eggs, though after day 22/23 if no pipping.

Congrats on your hatch thus far!!

I think I’m giving up on trying hatch marans. It’s just too stressful! Is it this way for everyone? This was a mixed clutch of fertile eggs I popped under my broody.

First babies completely hatched without me ever seeing a pip, right on day 21 (Saturday- out before noon). No movement or pipping or anything from the remaining 3 large maran eggs.

Day 23 was yesterday and I was so anxious I finally went into action (incubated marans last year and every one died in the egg fully developed and no pips- all other breeds hatched no problem).

Found one egg had finally pipped but no progress made all day. One egg was definitely stinky so I kept it out. Other egg I could feel tapping but no external pip.

Finally decided we had to hatch assist last night. Pipped egg was shrink wrapped and after several small spaced out assist sw we left her under mom last night and this morning she looks great!

The full assist baby made no progress over night and was still in membrane (air hole and shell half chipped off). She has so much yolk and is only gasping this morning, no cheeping. I was surprised she was alive. Pulled back the membrane gently, no bleeders, allowed her body more room and took more shell off but left her yolk in the bottom of her shell intacted. Interesting small amount of white webbing around her under the inner membrane. Just popped her back under the hen, but she seems premature despite being so many days over due (today is 24).

Any kind thoughts would be so appreciated. I have pics if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom