help with hen

yeddi 05

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Hi all,

I have a approx 2 yr old hen she lays jumbos, I think she is a cross breed. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with her. Her vent is like clogged with a white cheesy poopy looking material. Has some odor. I did a bumch of reading on here and I'm guessing either egg bound, busted egg or prolapsed? I tried giving her a warm bath today to atleast to clean it up because it was all leaky. i felt her vent area and not having to feel one before, the edges of it were a little black and it felt hard. If a pic helps I can do that but your going to see what I described. Any help or ideas?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Pictures will help, people don't always form accurate mental pictures from (even excellent) discriptions. What symptons is she showing, how long since she layed, how long has this been going on, is she pooping otherwise, have you felt inside the vent? Please provide more detailed info so that someone (I don't know, as I have not seen this problem with any of mine) with some experience can chime in.

Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
It could possibly be vent gleet. Type vent gleet in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. If it is vent gleet, let her drink oxine/water mixture...1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water x 3 days.
You could also flush her vent of debris using a large syringe (without needle) with a solution of 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a quart of water...like a douche to help cleanse and prevent infection.

hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have had her seperate from the others for like 3 days now. I'm guessing her last lay was maybe 5 to 7 days ago? I have a picture if it helps. But I just gave her another warm bath and tried to clean up around her vent and maybe feel inside but it is all hard and i dont want to hurt her by picking something I shouldnt. Let me know what you think. Her vent just leaks like a white cheesy paste.
chix2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom